Gas or Diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bill 2, May 1, 2003.

1. Bill 2

Bill 2 LawnSite Member

I will be buying a Grasshopper out front 61" deck. I am looking at at a 725 with the kohler engine and a 721D with Kubota diesel.

Am looking for opinions, gas vs diesel. I am very finicky about proper maintenance. Will be mowing my 3 acres with a number of pine trees. Oh, the 721 is Gemini and the 725 is G2

All opinions are welcome.

Thanks

2. dhicks

dhicks Member

Last year, I bought a G'hopper 725 G2 Outfront mower. Mine has the 3 cylinder Kubota engine. The Grasshopper and my Hustler are the best machines for my operation.

A few weeks ago, I was having my 'hopper serviced (I never service my machines((I'm too lazy)) my dealer let me use his 721 diesel ourfront. The fuel economy on the diesel was fantastic. I guestimate it burned about a gallon of fuel every 1½ hours as compared to my Kubota gasser which goes for about 55 minutes per gallon.

The diesel had plenty of power but I think my Kubota has more power in tall/thick grass. I loved the diesel but I doubt that I would buy one as fuel stop that have diesel are few in my area. I have to travel 10 miles as it is to fuel my Duramax. Whichever 'hopper you get, I believe that you will get a good machine.

3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Those Kubota diesels run REALLY good!

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I love my diesel equipment, but I'd have to go with the G2 transmission on the 725. I have a 725 Gemini G1 and a 725 G2. The G2 is the way to go!

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

There is only ONE way... Diesel ;)

6. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I second that. I love my diesels. :D

zip

7. He had a Kubota gasser in stock all summer. It'd just sit there while people ordered diesels. But most of his customers were farmers or commercial cutters.

I'd recommend diesel even for someone mowing just one lawn. #1 reason is service. It'll last the rest of your life. (Don't take offense, you're only 3 years older than me.) All you'll ever need is oil and filters. Maybe a valve adjustment after a few thousand hours.
    Diesels are good for heavy duty long term use. But they're also good for intermittent use. Diesel fuel doesn't separate like gas in storage. So you don't get the gum problems like gas engines have.
    Know how to "winterize" a diesel engine? Fill up the tank and turn it off.

Dave

8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

If you do go gas upgrade to the kubota gas engine---it is much smoother and will give troublefree operation longer than kohler. 21hp diesel is plenty---it doesn't "bog down" it simply drop into its torque range

9. Bill 2

Bill 2 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I may go the G2 725 w/ Kubota gas.

10. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

If you have a place to get non tax diesel (fuel farmers use in tractors but can't use in veh as this is a non taxed fuel, no different than regular diesel) then you will save a considerable amount of money. The other day, I paid $1.40 for gas and $.93 for non tax diesel for my mowers. I have 2 gas and 1 diesel.