Gas or electric hedge trimmer??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by STIHL GUY, Aug 20, 2008.

1. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

my lesco dealer has a kawasaki hedge trimmer for a real good price. I will only be using it 2-3 times a year and was wondering if i should buy it or get an electric one. I know the gas one will be more powerful and i wont have to worry about cords but i dont want it to get ruined form sitting for long periods when its not in use.

Also is there anything i can do to the gas power hedge trimmer after use so it wont get all gummed up?? and messed up??

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

When I wasn't a LCO, I would only purchase the good stuff, I had an ECHO weedeater, for my home. it one time sat for 2 years. with out any problems, Like you I would only use it once a week and sometimes every other week.

Its nice NOT to deal with cords and such.

Go For it.

3. STIHL GUY

from CT

ok thanks i want a gas one but dont want to spend the money on something if its going to get ruind from sitting too long

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Gas powered, for sure. Electrics are for senior citizens. :)

5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

go with gas. much better machine, and it wont be a pain to use. i would drain the unused fuel as much as possible, then run the machine dry, after it's dry choke it and get it to run some more. as long as you get ALL the gas out you shouldnt have any problems.

6. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Mike's LawnCare Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Just wait, soon as you get a gas one you will be using it way more offten then you think!!

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What does that mean?

8. GreenAcresLC

GreenAcresLC LawnSite Member
    from KY

I posed this exact question a few months back and got several good responses saying go gas...I ended up going with a Stihl, been a good machine.

Beware of answers like I got, don't let 'em get ya down. Here's an example, copied directly from the thread I posted:

lawnpro724
    LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have to ask then this may be the wrong business for you.

Keep asking questions, and try not to let idiots like this one bother you. I never replied directly to this "gentleman", but plenty of others did, and to those I'm thankful.

JW
    Green Acres Lawn Service, LLC

9. STIHL GUY

from CT

thanks for all the help guys

10. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

go for the gas. If you're worried about the engine gunk, just spray some engine cleaner on it when the unit is cool. Should get the gunk and oil deposits off, could wipe excess off with a shop rag if you like.