1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas or Electric?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cgland, Feb 26, 2005.

1. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys - Quick question! What do you use to cut pavers and block? We have an electric MK-3 Brick extreme that we have been using for 3 years now. It has served us well, but lately has been tripping breakers and is now a production liability. We just purchased an EDCO 6.5hp gas saw w/ stand and a Partner K700 cut-off saw :blob3: I just wanted to see who was using what and if you guys thought that the gas saws are a Faster cut. Thanks.

2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have a lot of experience with pavers but have done three smaller jobs last season.
    I found a good deal on a K700 saw last year and have used it on two of my jobs and that thing is great. The only problem that I dont like at times is marking one or two pavers, firing up the saw, cutting the pavers, installing them then having to go through the same process for a long time. An electric saw would be great to eleminate some of the time of starting up the saw, but then again you have to worry about a house not having power to the outside boxes when you need to use the electric saw.
  3. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Chris, I'm using the MK-3 Brick Extreme as well. I haven't had a problem tripping breakers, yet. For handheld, I use the Stihl TS-400.
  4. cgland

We didn't have a problem the first 3 years and it seemed like the last 2 or 3 jobs we did we tripped breakers like crazy. :angry: It kinda sucked, because several times the homeowner was not around and we had to either pick up and go home or rent a generator for a day. :blob2: I can't go through that this year. Every minute counts and I can't have guys standing around. Anyone else use a non hand held gas saw?
    Gilla - How do you make precision cuts with a cut-off saw? Especially the tiny edge cuts on borders. You are a better man than me if you can make it look good.

5. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Chris, I hear you. Friends in the business have expressed similar experiences and concerns. I have thought about it. As far as precision cuts, no way anybody can make the same quality precision cuts (that should be done on a table) with a cut off saw. A friend laughed when I told him I did table cuts. He swore his cut off saw cuts were quality cuts. Eventually, I saw his cuts, they were horrible.

Each saw has its purpose, but no way you can consistently do a quality job without both.
  6. cgland

I guess I'm just trying to get some input on the gas table saws like the EDCO, MK and the like. I hear it's faster, but is it worth the extra money. I just paid $2,400 for the EDCO and was curious to see if anyone had any experiences w/ it.
    Mike - Yeah! I had a mason come in to do some work for me on a big project. I needed him to install 75 linear feet of bullnose mortared to retaining wall steps going up to a spa. (see pic below) I bought the pavers, all I needed him to do was cut and mortar........Next thing I see was him yanking on a cut-off saw. I said "What are you going to use that for?" he said "I'm going to cut in the bullnose w/ it." I said " I don't think so!" Glad I did, because I heard later that he sucked!

7. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

Why not stay with the electric table saw because of its quality of cuts and just buy a generator? To me it is a must have piece of equipment for a landscaper? If you use an enclosed trailer on the jobsite, the generator could always be stored in it or just bring it along when needed.

Think about it, your guys could throw a breaker using any electrical equipment. Without a generator that means downtime... I know it is something else to haul around, but it is the only way to ensure your guys can still work using electrical equipment? It could be mounted on a truck or under the truckbed or in a trailer??? Just some ideas, I am thinking about...

Also, using the homeowners electrical could open you up to more liability??? You know, more things to go wrong...electrical fire ;)

I think you could find a slightly used generator with a honda motor for 1K or a little more? I know a really good new one could run 2K to 5K ;)

Or you could completely rid your crews of electrical equipment. like you seem to be doing...

Just some things your post made me think about. Hope you find something in the post useful.....aj
  8. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I've been using Clipper brand electric saws for the past 7 years. I bought a second saw last year so there wouldn't be a 'line' of employees standing, waiting to make cuts. Having two saws really speeds up the cutting process!

I also started tripping circuits breakers with my older saw. It has a Baldor electric motor. There was a loose connection on the back of the motor where a capacitor or some kind of switch was attached.

I have a Honda generator that we bring along to the jobs, but I prefer using the customers outlets (less noise), and more convenient. We often trip breakers anyway. I have found that most outdoor electric outlets are 15 amp circuits, and these saws will sometimes trip the breaker (especially if the brick binds in the blade). If the customer is home, we run an extension cord into the laundry room, and use a 20 amp outlet.