Gas power to Diesel power

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KillaWhale, Jun 13, 2006.

1. KillaWhale

KillaWhale LawnSite Member

Looking at buy an older walker. It has 15HP Kawi on it and was wandering if you guys have ever switch out motor to an diesel power. I am very mechanical inclined, but thought I might get advice from someone who has done it. Thanks for the responses and help in advance.

2. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Walker does not make one with a 15hp Kawi. This sounds like a diy replacement. What model is the unit? Does it have the frame for a water cooled engine or will you be looking for an air cooled diesel? Get the information first before tackling such a job.

I know I would not like to face the 'fun' of changing such a unit and I rebuild and resell Walkers traded in for my business.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

IMO, replace with a larger GAS engine if there is only a 15hp on there now.

4. KillaWhale

AAELI This is 48ghs 97 model, the guy I called and spoke to said it was a 14/15hp Kawi. I have yet to go look at it, but was just wandering if it is possible. The main reason for the change is I make my own diesel and I wanted to drop my fuel costs. Thank you everyone for your reply.

5. AAELI

Okay KW, If it is a 48GHS it probably came as a model C or T. Engine from factory was a Kohler 16 Twin if model C, if a T it had a 20hp or 25Hp Kohler. The Kawasaki engined units were 11hp Model S units that in the last few years were upgraded to 13hp Kawi. I personally find it hard to believe the owner is unaware of what he has unless he is not mechanically inclined. Still, it would be good to know for sure what model this is before making any other decisions.

6. KillaWhale

AAELI..Thanks for the response. Sorry computer down for awhile. It is a 16HP. All of my equipment ws stolen last week, so I am going to go and get the Walker. Anything I should look for and test for? Thanks again guys.

7. AAELI

Look at the overall condition, check engine oil, airfilter condition, if engine shrouds have been removed to clean cyl. fins, belt conditions, rusted pulleys?, grease points been lubed, blower in good shape, parts freely move that are supposed to, etc. This is your opportunity to 'kick the tires' before laying out the cash. Generally speaking a good cleaning before a test run will give you a good idea if anything leaks as to where the leak is from and probably an idea as to cost to fix.

I know from personal experience how it is to get ripped off. Security for your tools that earn you a living is definitely a priority.

All the best for you as you gear back up.

8. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I know Yanmar makes a small diesel motor. Look at Northern tool's websight.