Gas Powered Hedge Trimmer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by iceberger, Apr 1, 2005.

1. iceberger

iceberger LawnSite Member

I'm looking for help in picking out gas powered hedge trimmers. I've heard good things about Echo, but they are pricey. I'm a home owner with about 2 acres, fenced. I need to keep the fence line trimmed so I can mow. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

I bought my Echo at HD about 7 years ago. Bought a trimmer and a backpack blower. Still going strong. A friend of mine bought these same two items b/c of the reliabity of mine last year and the trimmer won't start within the first few pulls and the blower has plastic pieces coming off.

I feel Echo to keep up with the masses must be farming there production out to have this loss of quality control. Mine evidently are better made than today's models. I would consider going to a local, small dealer and spending a little more (probably 10 - 15% more) than Echo and get a Stihl or the like.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use stihl a hs45 24'' double sided cutter. They sell for around 275-300 bux, A little on the heavy side but a good trimmer in my opinion. If you have a dealer in your area check them out. Maybe the most important thing is find a good dealer that can offer service if you have a problem no matter if it is a stihl ,redmax, shindiawa, husky, tanaka, or echo

4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Consider the weight of the machine, how strong you are, as well as how long you have to use the thing. If you're a huge knuckle-walking bagrilla then perhaps you could use one of these heavier machines all day long and not get tired. With the power you get the weight, and with the weight you get the sore arms. Such is life, eh?

I do like the trimmers with the swivel handles. You don't have to contort yourself quite as much when pruning certain angles. I've found that this helps to keep my arms from falling off quite so soon, and that in itself probably makes things safer. These trimmers along with chainsaws can get dangerous when you're arms are tired and you're having a tough time controlling them.

5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i've also heard echo is taking a dive with quality :cry:

I'd go with stihl.

Depending on your uses, they make a nice homeowner series.

6. iceberger

iceberger LawnSite Member

So, even for a homeowner - I should steer clear of Weedeater and Craftsman?

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yes.

The Stihl hs45 trimmer with a 24 inch bar will serve you better than an echo 20 inch from home depot for about the same cost.