Gas Powered Portable Air Compressor???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Blyth, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Blyth

Blyth LawnSite Member
    from tx

I am not sure if this is the right spot for this thread...but I was unsure of where to put it.. and I spend most all of my time lurking in this section of the forum.

I am looking for suggestions as to what brand I should purchase of the wheelbarrel type portable gas powered air compressors. I would appreciate any input that anybody might have. I will be looking for a used one to purchase more than likely.. Anyway.. let me hear your suggestions.

Thanks

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

What ever compressor you choose make sure it has a Honda engine if it has any other brand you will be cursing when the POS doesn't start.

Ingersol Rand probably makes the best but the other brands are just as good.

3. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Go with a Rol-air brand, We have had many of them in the last 25 years. We just purchased new tanks for are shop compressor which is almost 20 years old. We have gas ones with Kohler, Honda, and Robin's motors, the ones with the Robin's engines are the best in my opinion but, you will not go wrong with the other choices. When the Robin's go bad you can pick up a new engine for under $400 and they start the best. Rol-Air's are not that much more than compressor's that you sea in the chain stores and you will always be able to get parts for them, I see These things 10+ years old with 40+ hours a week on them still going. I bet you can get good deals on used ones with construction down the hill and people going out of buisness.

4. Blyth

Blyth LawnSite Member
    from tx

I guess I could spell it right to begin with.. wheelbarrow compressors. :)

5. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an Emglo twin tank with a 5.5 Honda last year for $150.00 I only bought it because Emglo used to be manufactered in my Hometown Johnstown, Pa. It might come in handy when I put the roof on the house I'm building. What are you going to use your's for? Mine basically collects dust now in my trailer.

6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I use the Cambell hausfield from Home Depot. 5 hp honda and it has served me since '02 or '03. Use it every day. Powers impact wrench, air guns, and other tools and when I have a flat and 50' of hose, it helps. The new one home depot carries is about $700 and looks heavy duty and has a honda motor.

7. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Yellow dog,
    Do you mount yours on your lowboy trailer or truck?

8. Blyth

Blyth LawnSite Member
    from tx

Thanks for the replies. I have to put a new roof on my house.. that is one thing that I am going to use it for. I want one to keep on my truck to keep my machine blown off as well as if I have a flat or whatever else that I might need it for.

9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

To give you a better answer other than just brand, what are you going to use your compresssor for. If it is to run a finish nail gun or run a couple framing nail guns that is a whole different ball game than running a spray gun or impact wrench. The tank volumn plays an important role in each of your choices. You can go to any website and they compare volumn with tools and which compressor will suit your needs best.

10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Blyth, if thats all you need, a little pancake compressor or small twin tank will do.