Gas price increase ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ECLC, Apr 4, 2005.

1. ECLC

ECLC LawnSite Member

I have been debating on what is the best way to increase our prices due to the increase in gas prices. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best way to go about doing this?

Also about how much increase would be fair to the customer and our company?

Thanks

2. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

Might try a search because I know I've seen topics on this. But, I've been thinking of adding a clause to my agreement that say's if gas goes over x amount of dollars than we reserve the right to charge an additional fuel charge. As far as what that charge may be? I think it can depened a lot on where you accounts are and how big the lawn is. I've got a few clients that are about a 20min drive from me, that takes a lot more fuel than the people I cut right around my neiborhood. Just my 2 cents.

3. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

I think I would just increase my weekly rate by $2.00 per cut. That should more than make up your higher gas prices.

4. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

good idea but for me it wont work, alot of my properties take more then 0.85 gallons of gas ($2.34 here) usually 1.5 or so once you figue in 2 stroke gas too

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If the price of gas increases 50 cents per gallon a 2 dollar surcharge would cover 4 gallons of gas. A 50 cent per gallon surcharge on 1.5 gallons of gas would only be 75 cents.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That will cover the difference from close down last fall to start up now, (1.80 to 2.25), but what about the other .75 on top of that is expected and looks as though it is coming rapidly? (Ours today was @ $2.45) I will post a thread with Analysis.