1. Daddy Joe's Lawn Service

Daddy Joe's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

due to the high rate of gas/oil price would it be fair to raise your service fee to help with the cost?*trucewhiteflag*

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You might want to ask your customers if it is fair instead of us.

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

What I have done is add a fuel sur-charge like UPS does. Right now its 3 bucks, few weeks ago it was 2 bucks till gas shot back up. If gas goes back down :)laugh: :laugh: ) it comes off.

4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't expect fuel to decrease in costs. Fill up all your gas cans and tanks because the Israel-Lebanon stuff caused the market to close at $77 a barrell on Friday which means that we're talking $3.50 or so a gallon on Monday when the market opens and most experts are swearing that we'll hit $4.00+ by the end of the summer!

5. Daddy Joe's Lawn Service

Thanks for the info letters going out tomorrow

Daddy JOe:usflag:

6. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

You guys are ALL babies....Not men at all! NONE OF YA!

We pay right now, today at this exact moment $4.40 per gallon. I don't increase my rates, I don't add surcharges, I just tighten my route, dropped the odd customers that are waaaaaaaaaay outta the way for what they are worth and learned to lean out the expenditures, the unecessary ones anyway.

I start my truck and within a 8km radius, I service 45 accounts. The 23 gas stations I do are not in this equation but hey, they are gas stations.;)

7. Daddy Joe's Lawn Service

JUST LIKE THEY SAID ASK THE CUSTOMER FRIST IF THEY SAY YES DIDN'T HAVE TO DROP ANY ONE. THOSE CUSTOMERS U THREW UNDER THE BUS MIGHT HAVE SAID YES KNOW SOMEONE:hammerhead: GOT YOUR MONEY!!!!

8. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Do not take this the wrong way, but you call it babyish...I call it smart. Anytime that you are a fuel-based industry, the market price fluccuates with the overhead market. This is true in ALL industries across the board. I'm in it for the money...go figure. The more your overhead eats you up from you "being considerate", the less you'll believe in your policy. Being nice will never get you where you're going. If the roles were flipped, the client would tell you the same story; "but sir, we cannot help the change in government regulated products, but we will be happy to end this surcharge the moment the market stabilizes." What more can you say, IRS has increased the reimbursement rate for milage, companies are offerring raises to help, and so on. The market is changing due to powers beyond us. We are simply the victims of a greater war.

9. Daddy Joe's Lawn Service

I KNOW ONE THING THERE IS ALOT OF WAYS TO DO THIS JOB. BUT MY CUSTOMERS COME FRIST. I DON'T TRY TO LOOSE MONEY AT ALL AND I DON'T TRY TO GET RICH OFF THIS JOB I JUST ENJOY DOING AND SERVING MY CUSTOMERS. IF THEY CAN'T SEE WERE THE SUR CHARGE
    IS GOING WELL THEY CAN FIND A NEW LAWN SERVICE. iTS NOT GOING IN MY POCKET! ITS GOING OUT THE TAIL PIPE. WELL I GUSS THERE IS ONE THING FOR SURE I HAVE ALOT TO LEARN. I WOULD CALL MY SELF SMALL POTATOES. CUSTOMERS INCERSE IS GOOD FOR WHAT BEING NICE AND DOING A EXCELLENT JOB. I'LL ALWAYS HAVE MY MIND OPEN!

10. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

any billed client you feel is getting a break on the cutting price may not mind a small fuel surcharge. It can be as small as a dollar a cut, most people understand this, and those few extra dollars do help. Not only do you use gas to cut the lawn, trim and blow...you use it to drive there. When calling all my customers over the winter to make sure they wanted continued service the next year, I mentioned the small fee and didn't encounter any resistance. payup