1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

GAs prices and calling it quits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by moneyman, Apr 14, 2004.

1. moneyman

moneyman LawnSite Member

How many can stay in business if gas gets up to $3 a gallon?

Would you sell your bigger truck and go with a compact pickup or just quit all together.

I thin if gas were to stay at $3 a gallon i would continue to work part time only.I just like working outside.
  2. jordanHXC

jordanHXC LawnSite Member

this season i bought a gmc sonoma. saves a ton of gas, and hauls the trailor....
  3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

My cost last week for gas in mowers and trucks was 168.55. That's at 1.63.9 gal here in Ga.
  4. jordanHXC

jordanHXC LawnSite Member

holy ass, here in iowa it is up to $1.74 and we get the tax cut for buying ethanol....
  5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

189.9 for 87 octane here, 179.9 for diesel
  6. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

I paid 1.52 for diesel yesterday, for the NPR. I also have an S-10 we use to pull a trailor that gets better milage but the load is limited. I do plan schedules and routes to minimise fuel usage. But like I tell the gas man when he hands me pennies change from my hundred dollar bill.. If you're not burning fuel-Then you're not making money.
  7. recliner5

recliner5 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

People will be cutting their own yards with gas prices with what they are. The good ole days I believe are gone. You have to pay for your equipment. These are not cheap. Thanks Terp
  8. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I know gas prices are cimbing, and so rates will have to go up as well, but what percentage of your cost of doing business is fuel?
    I don't see it putting me under!
    This might be a good time to really check your records, and figure out what to charge and why.
  9. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Last year my gasoline for the mowers was only 5% of our total expenses.
  10. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey welcome back Si:)

I agree with AX Man... Gas really doesn't affect your price per lawn that much.. If you have a tight route you are maybe driving 100 miles a day.. 100 miles a day @ 12mpg= 8.3gal for the truck.. 8.3gal @ $1.85 per gal is only $15.36.. Add maybe $10.00 to that for mowers and trimmers.. And your looking about $30.00 a day.. If your charging enough, that should only be one lawn and there should never be an issue...