Gas prices completely out of control

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Davis Lawn Mowing LLC, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I posted yesterday about gas prices in my area. I said they were up to $2.65. Well, that was Thursday. I saw last night they had went down to $2.51. Was out paying some bills this morning and prices were still the same. Came back through town an hour later and they were up to $2.81!!!!!!!!!!!!! 30 cents in a damn hour. It is all over the news here in Mid-Michigan. I said I was trying to get out of the industry possibly this winter and it is looking like an even distincter possibility now. They said we may see relief after Labor Day, well that sounds about right anyway, usually does go down after Labor Day since Summer is all but over. This is getting god damn ridiculous, pardon the language but it is just ruining my business and this entire industry. I should have laid the $1500 down on this website I saw a couple weeks ago that was offering 30-1 odds on gas prices reaching $3.00 a gallon by Labor Day weekend. :angry:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

skru it, this is my best year ever, I just spent MORE money for MORE new equipment lol (an fs-85r by stihl :)

3. protouchlawn

protouchlawn LawnSite Member

Matt,
    Not quite as bad but... I decided to go fishing Sunday morning.(Decided Saturday afternoon kind of late) Filled the truck and boat up at 5:00 A.M. Sunday morning for 2.39.9. I went this morning Monday at 6:00 A.M. to the same Chevron station that I try to patronize because a local family has owned it for almost 27 years. Price: 2.53.9.
    I have no idea where it will end. Between the gas prices and a half-ass drought in this part of the country, it is getting pretty damn tough.

Scooter

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I said enough already. Purchased a 500 gallon tank and pump last Friday and had it filled this morning for $2.39 a gallon.

5. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Smart idea! I'd be scared of any sparks, though!

6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I don't know about you guys, but my thoughts of buying a diesel truck anytime in the near future are on hold. I like the idea of longevity but paying as much if not more than high test...I think I'll stick with gas.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

AOL this morning show station signs with diesel in LA at $3.19 a gallon. That just plain sucks big time.

8. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

You may be right on the future costs but I hope not. I think the increases are almost media driven. These costs aren't news any more.They seem to be a way to get our focus off the middle east and the lack of anything else to fill the space. Some of us (motorists) are our own worst enemy in this battle. How many times have you seen someone (usally in a SUV or min-van) pull up to the pumps and fill up, paying with a credit card. They have no idea what they're spending because it isn't hard cash. The bill will go into the hat and may be paid (minimum amount due) at the end of the month. Why do they need 35-45 gallons of fuel? They're usually only going to take the kids to school or go to the market. They in effect are rolling storage tanks for the petroleum industry, helping keep the available supply down and prices up. I put only enough in my tank and cans to get by day to day, as I pass stations each day. If the oil companys had to store the stuff produced, I think the price (mho) would have to drop due in part to a lack of storage tanks. They certinly aren't reinvesting in refinerys or production equipment.

Sorry if I'm venting but I have had to raise the costs (minimally) to my accounts but sure don't like doing it. It makes us all look as greedy as the oil companys.

Jim

9. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

it went from 2.19 to 2.45 overnight .

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Captain, the reason they do that is to avoid a higher price a day or two later. If they fill up now, they get one price per gallon, if they do it day by day, each day they could be paying more and more. Just because they are homeowners doen't mean that they don't use there vehicle less then you do. My mom runs around all day doing errands. My dad drives me to clients. Both like to fill up when they have the money to do it to avoid higher prices a day or two later. Just my 2 cents, not trying to start anything.