Gas prices, here we go again?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLI1, Jan 13, 2004.

1. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know whats happening in your neck of the woods, but in mine gasoline has risen 25 cents per gallon over the last couple of weeks. It seemed a few years ago, prices were more stable and only went up and down a few cents throughout the year. This past year there had been a 70 cent spread approximately from about $1.29-$1.99. I have raised my prices accordingly year to year to cover the extra expense, but its hard when insurance and other expenses are rising also. I go through between 7 and 8 hundred gallons of fuel per month during the growing season. So it's scary to think of prices going through the roof. I got close once to implementing a fuel surcharge to my mowing accounts, but I don't want to if I don't have to. Has anyone heard of whats around the corner for the Spring, or am I worrying about nothing?
  2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

1.49 for 87 octaine here.
  3. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

1.69 here if i go down the street its 1.49
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Does anyone have a method in place for raising rates if gas goes through the roof? Any suggestions?
  5. bigshoe

bigshoe LawnSite Member

I just went and filled up they where changing the price on the signs as I was pumping going from $1.49 to $1.76 . I had to drive to A few stations to find that price it is getting unreal
  6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, Its called a Fuel Escalation Clause. Should the price of regular unleaded gas surpass $X.xx per gallon, then the cost of service shall be increased y%. Don't have the exact verbage here as its at the office on that computer.
  7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Did you ever invoke it?
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Fuel Escalation Clause...yup, have had to use it almost every year. When gas or diesel hits $1.95 per gallon, I tack it on our monthly statements.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Can one of you guys post the exact verbiage of how you worded it on the contracts ..... Think it's time for me to add it too... Thanks
  10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

Its the tree huggers fault. they protest us drilling in alaska because we might harm some animals. who cares, i want lower gas prices regardless of who it harms...*lol*