Gas prices hurting you now or soon

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Mar 8, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the process of building my business and right now Im using a Bronco II that gets about 13-15mpg and less then that when towing. It got me thinking about all of you who have the big 3/4 ton deisel trucks. Most of your trucks are pulling ALOT more then mine to.
    I was going to buy a dodge ram 1500 with a v6 that gets 17-20mpg. What are you guys going to do for your businesses? Do you plan to buy more fuel efficient 4-6cyl trucks and cut way back on equipment weight, or do you plan on gutting out the $5-$6 a gallon gas until vehicles are manufactured to have better gas milage? I know I spend ATLEAST $65.00 a week on gas for lawn work and essential living purposes and I have very little customers right now.

2. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on just sucking it up. There is nothing we can do to control the price. All we can do is pray for the best. I got $20.02 in diesel today and it was only 5.284 gallons according to the slip i got back. It is $3.79 a gallon here. I spend 100 dollars a week one fuel. That is until this summer i am going to be looking at 200 dollars or a little more. Don't get a V-6 unless you plan on not pulling with it. you think you get bad pulling a trailer now what till you have less power and see how bad it gets.... Just my .02 cents

3. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 V6 5 speed manual and I only get a lousy 13 mpg around town not towing. I prolly get 17 mpg on the highway. V6 full size trucks get about the same gas mileage as V8 full size trucks.

4. CrownlawnCare

CrownlawnCare LawnSite Member

If you plan on pulling anykind of weight, I would never even consider a v-6. They may get a few more miles per gallon but you are straining the v-6 to much. What if you expand your company? Then you would have wished you would have a v-8. "Thats all I have to say about that" Forrest Gump :laugh::laugh:

5. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

i would love $65.00 a week. how about $250.00 a week

6. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

how about 1500 per week. Does not concern me too much though. Fuel costs are only 5% of my revenue. If/when gas goes to $4 it would mean 6% of my revenue. Gotta look at the numbers before you freak out. I'll take a 33% jump in cost of business if it is only going to affect me by 1% overall anyday, especially with everything increasing in cost

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've gotten a lot more aware of my routing since gas went thru the roof. I'm always looking to see if I can be more efficient in that regard. I also just moved to a new storage shed which is going to save me about 20 miles of driving per day. Besides saving $4-$5 in gas a day, I'll be saving 100 miles of wear and tear on the truck.

I'm utterly shocked nobody has chimed in with the cliche response of "have tighter routes" :laugh: That's easy to say but harder to do. Your lawns are where they are. Try at least to pick up one more lawn anywhere you have a single stop. Then you'll have the leeway to drop some lawns that involve too much driving.

Generally, I no longer look at the gas pump :dizzy: I just stick the nozzle in and hit 'YES' for a receipt and drive away

8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Gas prices don't phase me much. I have a Chevy S-10 V-6 Vortec, and a small trailer that pulls around (soon) a Qiuck 32 and a Husky power rake. The rest of my equipment is inside the 8 foot bed. Through concentrated targeted advertising, my 11 new accounts are all within a hlaf mile of my house. After dumping my lame accounts, as a solo, I now have a paltry 16 going into year 2, but all billable from $1,300 to over $2,000 a year. I'm getting two new accounts per week. ALL within a half mile. Small properties, biggest with 4k of turf.

The trailer, Quick and Husky weigh about 750 lbs. Most of the time, I won't have the Husky on the trailer. So, I know from my small bass boat, I'll get about 18MPG. I only drive about 25 miles a week going to accounts... add another 25 for supply runs.

My business plan took fuel costs as a major overhead cost that had to be minimized. So far, so good. It could go up to $5 a gallon, and it won't put a big hurt on me, but I can still use it as a reason to charge a bit more. Pretty much offsets.

Being certified and legal to do apps makes all the difference. I need another 15 accounts or so, all in this half mile territiory, and I'm good. I am a solo, and have another gig on the side.

No Yellow page ads for me... walking with door hangers. Skipping houses I don't want. Tight route, good business plan. So far, so good.

9. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Really what I was talking about is trying to future proof yourself as much as possible. With prices getting so high, so fast, I see it being a very hard time within the next few years. Im trying to get a fuel efficient truck and tow a WB on my 5x10 trailer.
    With the value of money dropping and prices rising, people will just get more "stingy" with spending so I think raising our prices to catch up with living, wont work out so good. Gas was my first guess for saving money.

10. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

My new 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 V8 gets 16mpg in the city and 20+mpg on the highway and my old 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport V6 got 13mpg city and 17 at best on the highway and didn't pull worth a crap.