1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas Prices Inflating

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Infinite, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

I'll start off by saying this is my first year owning a lawn care business, but worked for one previous to this. At the beginning of the season gas prices were a little over 2.00, and now they are at 3.09 here. I didn't have any of my customers sign contracts this year, but want set up a contract for them to sign next year. Anyways should I have them sign the contract this year or wait until spring? I need to raise prices due to gas, how much should I increase as of now? 15%? Also if I send out a contract this fall should I also hit them with a letter increasing prices?
  2. illday

illday LawnSite Member

I raised all my cuts by 5 dollars a couple of weeks ago and only received one customer complaint. I sent out a letter referring to the rise in gas and other operating costs.
  3. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I did the same. I raised weekly services $5 each. I havn't had a complaint yet. I have personally talked to 90% of my customers and they all seem to understand.
    It's just a shame that all of the tragedy happened in the gulf states like that. No one expected anything of that magnitude. God bless to all of them. We really are lucky I guess that the only price we're paying, is the hike in fuel. There's nothing worse then losing a life time, everything you ever worked for. And worst of all, losing family and friends.
  4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

wait until spring for any kind of raise in prices that big(15%), you have no idea of how high they may go and I'd rather adjust prices one time than have to do it again a few months later when I have not been servicing the property. You give them the oportunity to weigh cost vs. benefit if you attempt to get a commitment at a higher rate in the fall before the work will begin next spring.