1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas prices (is kicking my assets!)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harperservices, Feb 24, 2003.

1. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

Just wanted to know how is everyone dealing with these high gas prices?

I own a couple of V8s for my business and filling them up now is kicking me hard!

Are you guys/gals incorporating these prices in your services?

If so, are you rasing your rates? By how much?:cry:
  2. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Thats why everyone down here drives 4 cylinder Japanese vehicles,V8s came to the end of their road 25 yrs ago here when gas prices started going skywards.My Toyota HiLux utility can run all week on $30 (US$14) worth of gas.
  3. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

That may be so....
    but what are you hauling and I don't think you guys get much snow?

I need the power of a V8 and I am very happy with my V8. Just was wondering if anyone was doing price increases due to the cost of Gas in the US.
  4. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Diesel, Diesel, Diesel...:D
  5. iclgs

iclgs LawnSite Member

Would have to agree...use to live in in NZ and the toyota hilux would have to the best truk I brought!!. Unfortunatly now being in the US...I to have a V8 Ford that cost me way to much to run!!!

US hasn't found out about jap imports yet!!! :)

6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have a min. of 35.00 per cut. The yards that were 30.00 last year i went up to 35.00 per cut on about 25 yards. that = 3775.00 more per year. and all said that would be fine.I avg. buying 100.00 to 125.00 in gas per week this raise in price will take care of my gas cost.
  7. lawnman25

lawnman25 LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

2 years ago when gas prices were fluctuating I came up with a plan that seemed to work well with my customers . We try to hold our prices for 3 years when we start with our customers . We let them know this when we take them on as customers . As it gets close to the time to raise prices we raise them to compensate for rising costs . Then we tell them the price is good for 2 years. That way they feel like they are getting a good deal and you can get a little more of a price increase at one time . Every year i have a few that come up to increase so it offsets on some that we are not charging enough on due to our cost of operating expenses . Plus we add new customers every year . It has worked out as a win , win situation and very happy customers .
  8. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Going up $5.00 per customer should cover the fuel price increase. I am going to go up on new customers and leave my returning customers prices the same as last season. Gas here is from $1.50
    to $1.64 as of yesterday.
  9. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

I paid $1.50 for diesel yesterday, and the local Texaco is charging $2.01 for Premium gas.
    I simply raise the price by $5 for everyone, makes it easier.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Around here, diesel costs more than gas. And of course, all our trucks are diesel :angry: .

I'm going to wait and see if a fuel surcharge is needed this Spring. We've done it before and no one ever squawked about it in the past.