Gas prices killing this industry?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by georgialawn88, Aug 28, 2012.

1. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

squirt and fert is not something that is a need. its a want. As the economy get worse and we have to rise our prices due to fertilizer thats effected by gas and gas alone will this industry fail? seems gas goes higher and higher and peoples pay is the same. will this industry fail or stay firm and we will work through this? yea sorry this just depressed the hell out of me also but i had to ask..

I mainly pressure wash and it is straight killing me. chemicals, gas gas gas. and gas. eating into my profit big time.

Who went through this before in 2005 and can give me some assurance everything will be ok and we will not all go broke. :confused:

2. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

hows that epa working for ya
  3. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

Raise your prices accordingly.
  4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I just sent letters to two commecial clients and asked for a raise. It was based on the CPI over the last 3 years. I got both price increases. It will be harder to do to my residential clients since so many flyer are advertising lower prices than I work for now.

Considering dropping the credit card processing and going straight to e-checks, checks and cash. Only residentials use it/.

GALAWN LawnSite Member

I'd say vote for someone other than the guy there now. The biggest problem for us would be if the US dollar loses it's world currency position. This is a problem because when any country buys gas they have to buy it is US dollars, then convert it back to their currency. Too hard to go into it and not bore you but if this step changes due to our country going too far in debt (that's what happened to England and why the pound lost their position decades ago) and there is a new world currency we would be looking at gas prices in line with the rest of the world, $8 - $9 dollars a gallon. Yeah it's kinda a big deal.
  6. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

find your niche in the market and raise your prices to what you want them to be. find something that makes your clients and future clients want you and not just anyone that does a decent job and doesn't charge hardly anything. Overtime my client base has turned into people that hire me for me and not just because they need someone for this or that. High end full service residential, not meaning homeowners with that want to blow money and assume that the more they spend the higher the quality, but people that want quality and are more than willing to pay a fair price for it. I do charge more than the "average" but my work always shows that you get what you pay for. I don't advertise anymore because I got tired of random calls and PITA customers that assume they will eventually find the best quality for the cheapest price. Find customers that want YOU because of your work. I can honestly say I don't have any competition because I sell on the work done. prices are secondary to my customers. I do know different parts of the country are different. I hope that helps you
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Plan your routes more carefully.
    At least the gas prices affect low-ballers just the same. Unless they start using motorcycles.
    Naturally, a fuel efficient truck will be helpful.
  8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I know many low ballers that are hurt by their gas hogs. Single digit fuel mileage and $4+ gas stings. They also cannot go where the money is because it costs too much to get there.
  9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I installed a fuel tank (diesel) It lasts 4 weeks, it saves me some money & its very convenient but nothing really takes the pain out of 4 dollar diesel!

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

we all pay at the pump --- try to find ways to get people that can afford what you do.
    run a sign up the neighbors add to get more jobs at one stop.