Gas prices & Mowing fees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harry beaver, Aug 18, 2005.

1. harry beaver

harry beaver LawnSite Member
    from nc

Just curious how everyone is planning on recovering the extra cost of gasoline etc. Here in NC gas today is 2.59.9. It has trippled in the past 3 years, with lawn mowing prices staying virtually the same. One of my accounts is a 5 acre Church lawn with a cemetery of around 40 stones. I mow, trim. edge sidewalks and parking lot, and blow off all the above. What kind of money should they be paying? Just curious what other parts of the country are charging.
  2. D Fricks

D Fricks LawnSite Member

Here in Ga. we try to make 60.00 per hour but not always this area Im in is 90 miles north of atlanta Started increasing prices this week gas is 267 here
  3. djlawn

djlawn LawnSite Member

Is that $60.00 per man hour or 2 man crew.
  4. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

5. djlawn

djlawn LawnSite Member

That's what I thought, just makin sure though. I try to get $1/min which equates to $60.00 per man hour.
  6. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

ok, enough about the gas prices. as stated in a precious thread, they really don't make a huge difference.
  7. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I just did a price increase on eight customers who were over due. That will bring in $35.50 more per week which will more than cover the gas increase. Gas is $2.49 here. You could add a $1 per week gasoline surcharge to every customer if they're not due for a price increase anytime soon.
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I raised most of mine a buck and the weekly increase is enough to cover my fuel increase.
    I'm sure most have done it.
    The .405 that we get from the IRS should be increased when fuel jumps like it has recently.
  9. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

Are you kidding us fangs? you better have a gas budget unless you are using all electric tools. sounds like your solo operation
  10. harry beaver

harry beaver LawnSite Member
    from nc

I have a solo operation. I mow with a Turf Tiger 61 in cut, 27 hp liquid cooled kaw. Yesteray, I put 9.00 worth of fuel in it alone after mowing the 5 acre church grounds. If I bust my hump mowing/trimming/blowing/edging, it will take me 5 hours to "get er done". 60.00 X 5 = 300 I only wish I was getting half that. There seems to be no shortage of people willing do it for 30 per hour and less around here. Oh well just venting today.... Too hot to mow. :)