1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas Prices this summer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Jan 23, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Well, prices went up here at $1.74 a gallon today. I was wondering what everybody is going to do or have planned for when prices hit $2 to $3 this summer?

Raise prices on customers, stick to your price and just ride it out, step out of the business, etc.?
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Since ive been in business gas has gone up here in KC ony about 40 cents . Most of the time it fluxuates abtou 10-15 cents for a few weeks a couple times a year. I seriously doubt it will go above 1.80 a gallon. But in answer to your question i have raised prices before because of gas.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If it takes less than a gallon to mow the lawn, and im sure it will, dont worry be happy
  4. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Everybody except mom n dad is going up $5 this year. I only plan on raising prices every 2 or 3 years for existing customers, so $5 isn't much for most of my clients. Ends up being 3 or 4 % per year overall, and that barely keeps up with inflation.
  5. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

wow you guys have it lucky..

It costs 78.9 cents a litre right now for us!

3.78l = 1 gallon
    78.9 x 3.78 = 2.98
  6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

What in the world makes you think prices will hit $2-$3/gallon? I think the media is getting into your head. If the prices here hit $3/gallon in the summer of '04 I will personally drink 5 gallons live on the web for your amusement.
  7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Better get ready to drink then. This is what the gas companies have been trying to do for years, get the prices way up for their greedy pockets. They are finally coming up with some good excuses to raise prices and its going to be bad in the next few years.
  8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

They have been saying the same old crap for years. As for greedy pockets, if the prices for gas had gone up the same as home or car prices we would be paying $10/gallon. There is more than enough oil to go around. We have so many sources that even if the majority of the middle east shut down operations the only blip in delivery would be the outcry of the media. And the Middle East can't afford to cut us off. They would be even more backwards if they didn't get our money.
  9. ManleyLawn

ManleyLawn LawnSite Member

i have heard it is supposed to go up to 2-3 dollars a gallon... which would suck but i think inorder to keep the customers happy i will most likely keep their prices the same. I can recoup the cost of gas in other ways... if my clients are happy i'm happy and as long as they pay for the services on time i am even happier. :)
  10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

But they are doing something about it. Just a few years ago gas was less than $.90 a gallon. Now its about $1.90 a gallon. They are doing such a slow increase hoping people wont ever notice the small difference. And it will continue to slowly rise. After all you are paying over $1 a gallon in just taxes. the fuel itself costs little to nothing. Its all govt controlled, so you know we are screwed.