Gas prices up...again

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Grassbuster, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Grassbuster

Grassbuster LawnSite Member

I saw the evening news last night .. they said expect the price of gas to go to $4.00 ~ $4.50 by mid summer:dizzy: How many have fuel surcharges? How many plan to raise prices for: a) profit, b) gasoline, c) both. Last thing people want to hear is a price increase.:cry:

2. TGK

TGK LawnSite Member

I am alarmed by that as well. I was considering adding a small monthly fuel charge to my bills for everything to offset this madness.

3. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

hell yeah let the price get to about $4 .00 a gallon it will drive out a lot of lco'sout of business

4. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

We usually raise our prices a couple of bucks every year. Although they never want a price increase, most people expect it, and are pretty surprised when their isn't one. You gotta eat. :hammerhead:

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

These threads crack me up... Every 6 months there's "estimates" that come out that say "in 6 months gas will be $x.xx per gallon! Panic now!" Seems that for the last TWO years it's been threatened that it will be $5.00 per gallon in the summer, and then there's a big scare... And then it never happens. Then, mid summer, there's the next "omg gas is said to be going to raise to $5.00 a gallon by this winter, blah blah blah" And then it never happens. See a trend here floks??

Yes, paying around $3.00 a gallon as we are now is already nuts, considering that only 10-12 years ago it was a dollar or LESS per gallon. There's a thousand explinaions as to why it's become so inflated so fast, and oil companies are now using every wind that blows across the deck of a refinery to raise prices. Every part of the world that uses oil to run the country is absorbing the increased rates, the oil companies keep coming up with reasons to raise the prices. WHen the economy can't bear any more and starts to truely break down = less oil consumption, prices will fall again. Will this ever happen in todays world? NO.

6. Grassbuster

I just post what I hear - They say that in the spring they will have to add an additive and thats why its going up. BTW I am paying $3.69 for diesel :cry:

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

They put in additives in the spring every year. There's a summer blend and winter blend with fuels. The winter blend is "supposed" to be cheaper as it has less additives, plus the winter blends are said to actually get better fuel economy.

At least you HAVE a diesel though, and I assume getting a LOT better than 5 MPG as I get with my Dodge 3/4 ton with the V-10! Thank god it's just my work truck, but on the other hand I drive it 6 days a week 9 months of the year. Another upgrade (diesel) is coning in about a year, that's if it dosn't bankrupt me first!

8. Grassbuster

I don't really know if it pays off to have a diesel, costs $4,000 more up front:dizzy:, costs more to maintain:dizzy:, more to fill up:dizzy:, when it goes to the dealer or any small shop there has to be a diesel mechanic. I don't know how many years it would be before you break even with a diesel. Pushing snow or pulling a trailer I get around 10 mpg. Never driven on the highway since it is my work truck. I'm sure some guys will say they get like 18mpg. but idunno.

9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Every other oil dependent industry goes up on prices when the price of oil and fuel goes up. Airlines add a fuel surcharge. The mail carriers like FedEx and UPS do. You even see an increase in green fees at the golf course because it is taking more money to keep the tanks full on all the groundskeeping equipment. We are no different. You can even look at it from the view that even homeowners who mow their own lawns are having to pay more for mowre gas. Obviously, if you don't raise your prices to reflect the rises in cost of living, equipment, taxes, fuel and everything else you need to consider, then you are simply not making the money you should be.

10. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if thats the case then my 1/4 acre lawns are going from 8$ to 9$ for sure dam it!!:cool2: