Gas Prices, We Are All Gonna Suffer.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by milo, Aug 31, 2005.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont ever think this country will see gas prices under $2.25 a gallon ever. there is no end in site. i hear in 15 to 25 years all the oil will be gone anyway.. now where i am it is $3.01 a gallon and just heard it will go up every day .06 a gallon for like the next week ot 2.. if anyone on here does not say the cost of gas hurts them they are nuts... if this dont end soon i am getting out of the business

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how unfortunate. but the smart businessman, plans ahead for these things. i will take great pleasure in taking the work away from these "image is everything" geniuses, with the huge enclosed trailers, being pulled by a dump truck, smokin up $500 a week in fuel. you see, when your overhead doesn't force cause you to operate at 7% profit, there is room, lots of room, for the unexpected. good luck, kid

3. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

Were just like the poor Truck owner operators that was forced outta bizz due to this crap just on a smaller scale......

Economy is improving is all that Jackass can say in DC . Yea improving my ass when small buisness operators are being forced out of buisness by ever increasing gas /fuel prices ,

4. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

As an active trader in the stock market, I judge the "economy" by the market. The dow is basically where it was 6 years ago if you pull the energy sector out of the market. The economy (market) has been basically churning. I'm heavy into energy and have been since long before I stated on this forum (several months ago) that oil would hit $70 a barrel before the year end. Several have said I was an anti Bush liberal nut just trying to bash the President. I just look at what's goings on and try to make money in the process. Letting your political philosophy dictate your investment decisions is a losers game. For you traders, look into coal, natural gas, and the oil service sector.

5. milo

so i guess the smart business man seen the storm coming? and the price in fule going up like this to? well fill me in on where it is going and when it will stop and come down to what amount.. also i guess you seen the no rain in the PA NJ area to that has set alot of people back.. you want to buy my business? emaIL me here. $20000.00 you got it all. 1993 f150 v8 auto 4x4 extended cab. loaded.. 2005 6 1/2 by 14 trailer. yazoo 61 inch 24hp honda under warranty 1 more year 240 hours on it. exmark lazer zhp 1744 780 hours on it. 2 stihl trimmers and 2 stihl hand held blowers. husqvarna trimmer hedge.. echo chain saw. 40 some accounts... all execelent condition.. buy it..

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

why would i buy the very equipment, that put you out of business? also, the lack of rain, is making me a fortune. now, NOW you all see what i've been saying for all these years. :sleeping: :sleeping:

7. milo

oh so you must be a low baller with a 21 inch mower and a broom? well maybe then you know something dont. but how did you know about the storm? gas prices? and the no rain? or do you know god?

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

no craftsman, just enough common sense, to not operate at so low of a profit, that a gas hike will bury me. sorry for your situation. but, i kind of feel like this: if a guy chose to live next to a volcano, would you feel bad for him, if an eruption killed him?

9. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby I couldn't agree with you more. Yes the gas does cut into profits but by keeping overhead low , labor, we still will be in business for the long run. That's why my wife and I do 98% of the work. We keep it in the family. Yes we have debt but it's under control.

10. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

for sure but this is one of the reasons we run lean and cost efficient as some of you previous posters said. My wife and I run our business and we make the minimum amount of equipment do the most amount of work possible. This is our full time business and we have no other income or interest in other businesses so we plan to stay in it as long as we can get fuel :D