1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, we've all heard that Mobil has made some killer profits this year so far, and we all know we need gas... but not from Mobil. Maybe if we boycot one particular gas brand, maybe they'll get their heads out of their collective-butts and stop with the gouging!

I filled my tank yesterday... $43.00... and I wasn't empty.

This is a little nuts. Suddenly it's summer. Suddenly people are traveling more. OH... and suddenly gas prices go THROUGH THE FREAKIN ROOF!!!! I don't buy the shortage BS, and I sure as heck don't buy the "We're not gouging the customers" crap either.

We all need gas, so we can't stop buying it. It's not going to make one bit of difference if we only fill our tanks half-way because then we're filling twice as often. And it's not going to do any good to not buy gas on a certain day.

So... let's just boycot one of them that we KNOW has made a killing off of us hard-working people.

If anyone has a better idea... let's hear it! I for one am really getting pissed-off about this. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy a motorcycle.

-Tim

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

slimjim. the reason gas prices are so high are due to OPECS stipulations. all the gas station dealers and including mobils, operate on cents per gallon. no matter if gas is $3.00 a gallon or $1.25 the dealers are making the same amount per gallon. they prefer to have gas cheaper because it ties up less money. boycotting a certain brand of gas wont do anything. OPEC needs to get their asses kicked before this change occurs for lowering prices. My father owns two mobils and just a quick warning, he heard today that Shell and Chevron warned their dealers in california to order 3. symbols for the price signs because its going that high. expect gas to reach $2.50 or higher in your neck of the woods.

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I usually go to Mobil, a few cents more but 1) stations have more pumps, no lines no waiting, 2) Speedpass, no lines, whatever, 3) their pumps are usually twice as fast as other brands so Im in and out in under 5 min.

4. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

mdb..
    Is it safe to assume that the gas station owner isn't putting any more actual profit in their pockets?? And, if Mobil and Exxon are sustaining record profits, it is the refinery that's making out?? Is OPEC's actions affecting the refineries adversely?

I - like most Americans - don't seem to understand why this is happening. I know we are all quite disturbed by it, though..... Since you seem to have some understanding of the 'system', can you enlighten us.

I'm not being sarcastic, I truly would like to understand what's happening, as it sure seems like we're all getting the shaft even though the oil companies are reporting record profits.

5. 66Construction

66Construction LawnSite Member

I agree with MDB Landscaping, Mobil does offer some things other gas stations don't like company gas cards and the pumps are faster. I just don't get the whole thing. how can something fluctuate so much, they're just gouging people, there's no shortage, the oil companies do it on purpose just like not so long ago when there was a supposed drywall shortage. There was no shortage, the suppliers just cut the supply off because it was so cheap that builders were using it for everything even sheathing with special paper on it. Look at it now, drywall is such a big thing now price wise most people I know make it an item in itself when estmating new construction.

I did see diesel for $1.45 gas is $1.75 all the more reason to get a Duramax!!
    Casey

6. Rob

Rob LawnSite Member

MDB,
    It sounds like you have way more insight into this issue than I do, so let me run something I read past you. (I wish I could remember where I read this, I think it was on Yahoo a couple of weeks ago.. anyway) The article bascially stated that the price increase is mainly due to the clean air requirements imposed by the government. (ie. the processing involved in adding the MTBE etc.) The article also stated that the price per barrel from OPEC has basically not moved for the past couple of months or so, maintaining approx. $25 per barrel. The last item of interest in the article was that the gasoline supply was actually slighly increasing, although it is still below the level it was at last year.

Any truth to this, or was this just BS.

Thanks,

7. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Tim,

I will trade you,when I fill mine it costs anywhere from $60. to $65.

Look at it this way,at least interest rates went down.:D

Mike Nelson

8. Woodman

Woodman LawnSite Member

Below is a link to the Energy Information Agency (our tax dollars at work) which gives some more info on the gasoline situation. If any folks tend to have conspiracy theories they'll probably scoff at the site.

However, I think most of the analysis done by EIA is simply comparing past data with current and explaining the trends.

Anyway we paid for it....

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/special/gasoline_update/market_summary.html

9. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

It all comes down to this they raise gas prices it cost us more for our every day things because of shipping and production of products.We then inturn charge more for our services and products that we sell.So we get back to the same cycle but just paying alot more.In some places they charge more for gas but they have no taxes we will be paying more for gas ,oil etc. and still have to pay for our gas.Why doesen't our congressmen and such do something about this.If they can't I think that every one should just cut there long trips down this summer not do as much driving as you would normally do to make them have a glut of the stuff.and then we can laugh at them.

10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

hey rob, you are correct, the reason the gas began to spike was due to the banning of mtbe in Calfornia. that explains why the gas has skyrocketed out there. recently the government released new standards that is going to affect how the production of gasoline occurs. the new standards are going to be costly. also, there have been hardly any new refineries built in the US in a number of years. the number of refineries there are today just cant keep up with production. somebody else mentioned about price goughing. i think there is a court case going on where OPEC may have purposely created a oil shortage to increase the spike in gasoline. things arent going to get better and less some of the enviornmentalists back off.