1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gas prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cubedmack, Apr 9, 2011.

1. cubedmack

cubedmack LawnSite Member

How bad are the gas prices affecting your business and what are you doing about it?:confused:

2. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Member

i downgraded from ford to chevy because of gas. i'm spending the same on gas i did with ford but gas is a dollar more. I raised my hourly rate and lost some clients. last year i 1/2-3/4 throttled my mowers and saved some gas that way.

3. cubedmack

cubedmack LawnSite Member

Ford to Chevy? What Ford did you have and what Chevy are driving now. I have a Chevy 2500 and it's killing me on gas. I want do down size to a smaller V8 or maybe a V6.

4. Truitt Lawn Maintenance

Truitt Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

i have been adding a 1$ temporary fuel surcharge to every visit. it ends up being almost insugnificant to the customer but adds up considerably when you consider all my customers. seems to work well:)

5. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Member

I bought a chevy 1/2 ton with tow package got the v6 with manual 3.73 gearing for daily puller. I still have the f450 for heavy loads. As a rule of thumb a ford 3/4 ton will drink way more than a Chevy 3/4 ton. From what I understand you don't get any more efficiency out of the 350 than you do with the larger chevy v8.i really wanted to stick with ford but could not find a deal on a diesel 3/4 ton.
    But i am content with the Chevy. here is a picture (link) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=332989&highlight=carmel&page=2

6. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Member

isn't that illegal?

7. Truitt Lawn Maintenance

how do u figure? my prices are set on approx $2.50/ gallon. its now high $3's. whats illegal?

8. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Member

calm down, maybe its only in ohio. you can't "call" it a fuel surcharge.
    you would raise you rate not add a extra charge

9. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

We're at $3.99 and 9/10ths over here for regular. Might as well say $4.00 :D

10. Truitt Lawn Maintenance

iv never thought about even looking up the termanology but i guess it might be worth looking it up. although it all gets taxed at the end of the year regardless. oh well.
    bought a full tank on my ram 1500...$80.00 thought i was going to S$#t myself. bout $3.60 here