1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gas prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cubedmack, Apr 9, 2011.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Using WB machines instead of gas hog ZTR and no sulkies. Converting gas hogs to Propane as quick as possible.

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

In August 2004, I spent $50 to fill up my F350. The young girl working the register said, "wow! $50 to fill up a truck." She was stunned.

Sometime in late 2007, I spent over $50 to fill up my Mustang. Much smaller tank, but 93 octane.

In June 2008, I spent $50 to fill up my Ranger.

In April 2011, I spent over $50 to fill my mower.

I figure it will eventually cost $50 to fill my two-cycle mix can.

3. Truitt Lawn Maintenance

Truitt Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

4. scottslawncareav

scottslawncareav LawnSite Member

4.00 for 89 octane and 4.49 diesel

5. freshcut419

freshcut419 LawnSite Member

Im selling my 24 foot long enclosed trailer and buying a open trailer that will fit in my garage. I have to keep my enclosed trailer at a storage lot . So Ill be getting rid of my storage fee and the gas and time to drive to pick up my trailer and drop it off, which is about 5 miles one way.

6. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I know i would lose about 25% of my customers if I raised my prices.It is affecting everyone,not just you.You will have to suck it up like the rest of the country.

7. tradeyouraccounts

tradeyouraccounts Banned

How do you know you would lose 25%, curious to know what makes you think that amount? Prices always go up over time to cover inflation and sometimes the rise in service charge and the possibility of losing some customers at the end of the day can be a wash.

8. grincon

grincon LawnSite Member

My gas bill has gone up about $100 a month more than average since prices have gone up. Its a hard hit but I dont think its anything to panic about... yet

9. rain man

rain man LawnSite Silver Member

Rich people buying stock in oil.

10. tradeyouraccounts

tradeyouraccounts Banned

Sometimes a price increase isn't the only option, you can always look at your accounts and find the ones that are further out of your normal route radius and costing you more than others to get to them, these accounts maybe more worth while to another LCO to service so a trade may suit for something closer to your regular route.