DYNA PLOW LawnSite Member

gentelmen? due to the fact that i own a gas station
    i am allways curious what fuel prices are at in other parts of the country. 87octane in wisconsin is 1.62
    diesel 1.66
    enlighten me

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

columbus ga reg 1.32 per gal
  3. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

Phila, PA reg. 1.53 per gal
  4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan LawnSite Member

In Nova Scotia regular self serve 79.9 cents/liter.
    For you non metric guys, $3.02 CDN/us gallon. Now since our dollar isn't worth much these days, that's about 2.02 us/gal.
    Want to ship some of your cheap stuff up!

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I saw this thread earlier, and had to go down to the quick chek type place...

On the way, I pass 3 stations.

Hess -Full serve
    reg $1.49 (87 Octane)
    plus $1.57 (89 octane)
    Super $1.61 (92 octane)
    (No repairs, cigs and gas only)

Amoco - Full serve
    reg $1.56 (87 Octane)
    plus $1.66 (89 Octane)
    Premium $1.72 (92 Octane)
    They don't put the Ultimate price on the sign...
    (Repairs, 2 bays)

And last..

Exxon - Full serve
    reg $1.43 (87 Octane)
    plus $1.57 (89 Octane)
    super $1.61 (92 Octane)
    (Convenience Store, no repairs)

You can't pump your own gas in NJ.

I really have to wonder why they even sell 87 Ocatne??? I wouldn't even put that in my lawn mowers!

How's that Dan? No diesel posted on the signs, but Hess sells it, and so does Exxon.

6. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Why no 87 octane gas? Most engines don't require a higher octane, although some do.

Have you had problems with 87 octane?

Just wanting to know. I use 87 all the time w/ no problems. Should I switch?

7. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow LawnSite Member

North western NJ

Reg. unleaded = $1.46
    Super unleaded = $1.58
    Diesel = $1.63
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Central CT self serve 87 (all Id ever use thats usually all that comes out of the 93 hose anyway prem is for suckers but thats a different thread) today ranged $1.58(Citgo) to $1.66 (Sunoco) Diesel is around $1.75 everywhere I saw.
  9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Well, my 80 GMC owners manual says to use 90 octane minimum. Any truck or car that has an on board computer, can compensate ignition timing for 87 octane, but even some of them recommend higher octane. My old "junk" (as some would call it) can't compensate for low octane. It runs best on 92. I get 92, because no one sells 90, and 89 and 87 are too low. The engine will ping like mad going up hills with 87 or 89 even. Around here, there's nothing but hills and mountains.Of course the truck will run on 87, but not run it's best. Repeated use of low octane can cause detonation, and lead to a hole in a piston. (In extreme cases)

As far as you using 87 octane, check your owners manual. The same goes for your equipment. Mowers, blowers, snow blowers, even 2 stroke equipment. See what octane rating they recommend for each machine. You might be surprised. Too low of an octane fuel is just as bad as too high. You won't find me running the 114 octane in my truck or machines that my brother runs in his jet ski (major engine mods done). And you won't find him running 92 in his jet ski.

Oh and the prices I gave above are from Nutley, and Lynhurst, NJ.
  10. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

"hills and mountains" Come on Chuck, you're talking about NJ, they're only hills no matter how hard we try to think big ;) .
    I'm with eskals. I've only ever used regular (I suppose 87 octane) in everything old & new & never a problem that I've noticed. $1.54 here & now. I just checked the 2 closest mower engine manuals I have & they say minimum 85 octane. I read an article (I wish I'd saved it) a few years ago that said 90% or more of engines (cars mowers etc,) don't need more than the regular grade of gas, and that the higher grades were basically a scam as far as most engines go. I think it mentioned that the higher grades were for special applications like the jet ski you mention. I guess I'll keep using regular until I notice a problem.