1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by liver, Jun 13, 2000.

1. liver

liver Guest

I don't know how gas prices are where you live, but in N. MI it is $2.10+. per gallon. When we sent contracts out at the begining of the year, gas was $1.20 a gallon. This is really eating into our profits. Begining Jun. 1, we are adding an 8% service charge to their lawn cutting bill. So far, we have not gotton any neg. feedback yet. Are there others that are running into this same problem.
  2. richard2

richard2 Banned

yes! it's only gonna get worse...
  3. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

$1.799 in MN.<p>$38.00 a week I spend on gas. Hasnt made a big enough impact for me to raise prices.<p>The guy who delivers goods is going to raise prices, and that will affect us all. I think it is called inflation...been a long time since Ive seen my buddy inflation, cant say that Ive missed him...or her!
  4. slingshot

slingshot LawnSite Member
    from pa

1.55 in scranton pa im using 350.00 to 400.00 a week in gas it realy stinks
  5. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

<br>Its all a bunch of bullcrap. <p>Greenspan raises interest rates to cool off the economy. <p>What will really cool things off are these exorbitant fuel prices. As the shock wave of higher fuel costs ripple through every sector of our economy - food, services,etc, its the resulting inflation that will serve to cool the economy. Already folks are cancelling vacations, auto purchases, more. And it's just begun. Milk will rise to $3.00 a gallon because it now costs more to get it to the stores. Sales of SUV's will plummet - no one wants a guzzler now. Folks are feeling the effect starting now.<p>Watch and see if the FED doesn't try to take credit for slowing the economy. The economy's been slowed alright. It's about to slow down to a crawl. New housing starts are down in many areas. Hate to be a negative Ned, but as earnings reports reflect higher operating costs, market values will decline, and the whole thing is a snowball rolling straight down into a massive depression.
  6. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

We have an oil rich texan ruuining for presidency and he must be loosing because the gas is going up! Just my thoughts.
  7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Investment ideas 101:<p>Keep cash on hand<p>Wait until a crash occurs, then a little longer...then pounce on the buying opportunity. Trucks, securities, etc.<p>The farm report stated the Farming in KS is as bad as the Dust Bowl days.<p>
  8. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, the oil rich Texan has more to gain from recession and high fuel prices.<br>Big daddy George could pull a lot of strings in the oil game.<br>If junior gets in we are sure to have a recession regardless because... well this is getting too political.
  9. The Mowman

The Mowman LawnSite Member

Yes it is getting too political and also, it is not doomsday. So the gas prices are a little high, do you know what gas costs in Europe. Around three bucks a gallon and that is just the average.
  10. I can sympathize with you guys for paying high prices. Something that wasn't mentioned was why? MTBE reformulation. California went through this 2 years ago, hard hitting the area that i live in, the San Francisco Bay Area. We don't have the market pull as Los Angeles. Gas companies were complaining that they had to small of an inventory to handle demand. Also, there were 3 refineries that were off line due to explosions (Tasco) or other mis-haps. The other end has to do with gas companies themselves. They dictate to the independent operators which refineries they can purchase their gas from. I know at the station I use for example, he can buy gas cheaper from a refinery from Los Angeles even factoring trucking expenses, than from the Exxon refinery less than 35 miles away from the station. Now we are going to go through this change again because the California EPA dummies want to get rid of the use of MTBE's because it's ending up in our water supplies. <br>On a side note, any of you that use 2 cycle engines noticing that your sparkplugs or fowling up faster??? By the 4th of July, I was told not to be surprised to see between 2.10 to 2.35 for unleaded gas.<br><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044