gas saving credit cards

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mlyons1, Apr 29, 2008.

1. mlyons1

mlyons1 LawnSite Member

just wondering if any of you guys use gas saving credit card have not had a credit card for 20yrs but thinking about one now gas prices here in ky 3:59 per gallon what is the best card out there for a very small lawn care owner.

2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

The only one i know of is the Shell card, and the savings is only promotional for your first 100 gallons i think. You can't really call it a savings when they hit you with 17.99% interest on the flip side.

3. tip184

tip184 LawnSite Member

I use the Shell for gas purchases. BIG promotional savings disappear soon, but 5% savings on gas remains (at least on the card I started about 3 years ago). With gas at $3.50/gallon this means $0.175 saved on each gallon. Pay it off monthly and no interest charge...

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

The Kroger card is the best way to save here, especially if you buy grocery's there. I usually get 3-15 cents off per gallon. Or you can just get the Kroger store card (not a credit card) and save 3-10 cents depending on how many groceries you buy there. You get 3 cents off regardless if you get any groceries or not.

I use just a plain Kroger card (non credit)and put all fuel on my American Express. That way I have to pay it in full every month. I think Wally world has similar saving if you use their card.

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I get 3% back on fuel purchases on my GM mastercard, you can use the "credits" on buying new vehicles, which I'm planning on using in the next 1-2 years. Not much, but better than nothing, I've been at about $400 a week for fuel lately.
    Nice thing about this card is that both of my foremen have their own card with their name on it, and the bill is itemized so I know who bought what.

6. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

The American Express Card, has a business card offered through Costco that saves 5% off every gas purchase.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

i like the shell card and looked into it a while back, but the closest shell is 5 miles each way out of my way....and the the ones that are on my way would put me in grid lock for an extra 30 minutes each week...to save 2.50

I have a sunoco on my front door step practically, but they are only offering a promotional short term deal. the discover is also offering 5% but caps the max @ $1200 in fuel so you'd only get 60 bucks back.....

8. echo8287

echo8287 LawnSite Member
    from Ga

What we need to do is start our own oil company with a new refinery. Get everyone we can in the USA on board and donate $1000.00. This will buy your way in.10 million people buy in and we have a 1 billion dollars which is big enough to start a small oil company. When the rest of the folks see it can be done, they will want in too. We can lower the going rate by a dollar a gallon, thereby kicking the big dogs butts,and lowering costs. David

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

problem is getting permission to drill for oil... knowing were to drill for oil, by the time you get refinery built and permits to drill its 10 years down the road...

Hell I'll give you a 1000 bucks for an investment, all I want in return is 1000 gallons of 87 octane...

10. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the sams club discover card which offers a 2% cash back at the end of the year, and sams club is usually cheaper then anybody else around here. I noticed that shell and BP stations are always like 15 to 20 cents higher then everybody else, probably to pay for the % off for gas, so what are you saving at the higher price.... I once used a shell card years and years ago until I figured out the price for gas was higher then everybody else. Back then you really didn't look at the price, just the rebates, but know I'm sure everybody is looking at the gas prices...sucks!