Gas Spills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MCGRAIL LAWN, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Ok

I would like to know how every one handles gas spills.

Do you carry around a 5 lbs. bag of kitty litter, 5 Gals of water and some soap.

I have heard of companies carrying around 5 lbs. of kitty litter and when the spill gas they put some kitty litter over it.

I have also heard of company's carrying 5 Gals Of Water and some dawn soap. When they spill they dump water on it and then some soap so it is not flammable.

Or Do most people just spill and drive away hoping nothing happens.

Please Let Me Know
    I am sure Others Will Be Interested In This Info Also

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would not want the EPA to find out that I spilled fuel and then just walked away. I would contact your local office to see what they have to say on the matter. Be very careful.

Gravely_Man

3. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Being a licensed pesticide company I have to carry a spill kit with me at all times, I have never had a gas spill but I have the means to soak up 50 gallons if needed. Do a search for spill kits on the internet you can get one fairly cheap. Mine came in a bucket so if I ever have a spill I will have a container to put it in after soaking it up.

If not get a small bag of oil dry that works just as good.

Seems every one worries about pesticide spills but we never mention gas and oil which are probably just as bad for the enviroment.

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Well.....

If its big, maybe throw some "oil-dri" on it (what body shops use to soak up oil spills)

Just a little....OOPS, hope no onw saw that :cool: :D

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of bounty. ;)

6. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

how will oil dry help? if i am correct is is the gasoline vapors that will catch on fire now the liquid it self. what do you do with the bounty towels after you soak it up? once again its the vapor coming of the towels that burns not the actual liquid. i just finished a 2 weekend hazmat class.

7. I am not talking about a big spill

I am talking about your dumb a** employee that over fills the weedwacker by double.

a small 1-10oz spill

8. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

yes i know what you mean, in hazmat they teach us that a small drip can be just as bad as a huge spill.

9. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

STSLawn,
    I am interested in your answer to the question, given your recent education, of which you have twice referred.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Small spills less than 12oz....Let it evaporate. Its GAS it WILL evaporate!

If its OIL, wipe it, or soak it up and dispose of it properly....The BURN BARREL!