Gas spitting thru cap??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eatonpcat, Jul 17, 2008.

1. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravely 15/48 Gear drive... Gas spitting thru pin hole in cap, Does my fuel filter need replaced?? Any other suggestions??

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

The vent on the cap is not working properly. If it's a fairly new machine, make the dealer give you a new cap, otherwise, pick one up and replace it.

Cub Cadet has a problem with their fuel caps leaking out of the vent hole. They have a up-dated cap to use that is suppose to stop this from happening.

3. eatonpcat

Thanks, will check on getting a new cap, But the mower is not new and yesterday was the first time it failed.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

your welcome. It might have a piece of dirt in the inside of the cap where the hole is. When heat builds pressure in the tank, if the hole is not open good, it will not vent right and cause fuel to get pushed out from the pressure.

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Replace the cap!

6. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe cap is bad or it might just be splashing out on my husqvarna thats all it was i was filling the tank to full and everytime i hit a bump some would come up through the hole

7. eatonpcat

maybe cap is bad or it might just be splashing out on my husqvarna thats all it was i was filling the tank to full and everytime i hit a bump some would come up through the hole

Tank only half full when it started.

8. Lordtimothy

Lordtimothy LawnSite Member

Duck tape (nods in a very wise way)

Timo

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Heck with that all of mine have always leaked, I've even bought two brand new mowers
    over the years and they did it since day one, too.
    So I learned just don't fill them all the way to the rim :p

10. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

My Exmark does the same if the fuel tanks are over 3/4 full. But the odor is strong, and I hate when it does that. Great question! I have wondered about the fuel filter too, but it still continued after I replaced the filter. I will get a couple of gas caps and try it.