1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Station Bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott30, Mar 18, 2014.

1. scott30

scott30 LawnSite Member
    from MO

My company has recently been asked to submit a bid for a local chain of gas stations (3 total). We're a younger company and have taken on some commercial properties in the last few years but never anything like this. They gave me a form to fill out which i've never had anyone do before. They form asked what types of insurance I have. I have general liability but not workers comp since I'm the owner and only employee I don't need it. If I need help I usually contract the work out and the contractor carries his own insurance. I've thought about attaching a cover letter explaining this since I don't want to lose a bid just because I don't have a certain type of insurance. What do you guys think of this?

2. thegreenskeeperkc

thegreenskeeperkc LawnSite Member

I would put on the cover letter that you are the owner and only employee, thus not needing work comp. If you need help, make sure its not on those 3 gas stations.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

That's exactly what I'd do. I was without workers' comp for about ten years because I was solo. I also had on average ten commercial accounts and it was never an issue: banks, medical office, church, neighborhood common areas, etc.

Just fill the form out to the best that you can and include a brief letter. Don't let it intimidate you. We all win some and lose some. ;)