1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gas Station or Your own tanks????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenngrow, Jan 30, 2003.

1. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

This questions is for the guys that have a shops. I was wondering due the higher gas and diesel prices if you checked into on site storage tanks????

To help in stabilizing your fuel costs.

If you have tanks, what sizes are they.

What security have got in place.

EPA regs on the storage tanks.
  2. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

500 gallon gas tank with electric pump,300 gallon kerosene gravity tank. Supplier is AG One. Security is fourteen dogs with shot gun back-up. :D If a thief is lucky the police will get them first. I would never take the law into my own hands. I would want to real bad but these days its just not worth it. I have the power to the electric pump were it can be turned off and locked away.
    I made sure if I ever needed to the electric switch to the pump is far enough away that I can turn the power off from a safe distance. It would be hard for a thief to find it as well. I use plastic portable containers. Two five gallon cans of gas and two one gallon mixed is all I ever need so far.
  3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have 275 gal at home, plus I carry 30 gal in tank on truck. But I'm going to mount the tank on the trailer soon.
  4. deason

deason LawnSite Member

This can have its advantages and disadvantages.

Buy 500 gl of gas today @ $1.45 and in two weeks the price is at $1.19. This can add up to big losses if you are burning a lot of fuel.
    If stored on site, in some states must be epa approved. (dont want to mess with epa, penalties are stiff)

Buy 500 gls of gas @ $1.19 and the price goes up to $1.45 in 2 weeks and you save money.
    No road tax if used only in off road equipment
    Never send a worker to the store for gas in mowers ect. = more productive time.
  5. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you want the liability...especially on a trailer?? One hit near a stream, I sure hope you are protected.
  6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Over here you can keep both on road and off road diesel in tanks no problems. However if you want to get regular gas you need special permits and tanks and all kinds of other BS. Not worth it unless you are going through a LOT of regular gas.
  7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Gas station, as I have limited space and no where to put a tank. :) ;) :) ED
  8. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

we have a 500 gal. gas and 500 gal. on road diesel tank. the tanks are provided by the fueling company and they already have inner and outer tanks to prevent environmental spills from happening.

if you can use the product in a timely manner, it would be worth it. if you do any search with your companies you'll find buying it "wholesale" is cheaper than going to the pump, although it does fluctuate. now mid grade gas is at least 1.55 and the last invoice i saw was for 1.15 a gal.

however, we also have deliveries twice a week and operate a large fleet of ten trucks and forty mowers. So, I'm not to sure if we also receive some sort of discount due to the amount of fuel we go thru.
  9. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I got something like 800 gal. early last fall for about $1.35 I think. About the same price as it was running at the gas stations.
    Bought it from Co-op. No delivery charge, free tank and pump usage.
    Their gas was running about 10 cents more but they gave me a discount for buying 800 gal.

Saved a bunch of time in the mornings not having to mess arround at the gas station.

Just waiting for the prices to go down a little befor I fill up for spring.
  10. cutterj

cutterj LawnSite Member

Do u guys that have these big tanks all go through it in less than a month? I've heard that it starts losing octane, so if your not using it right away its not good for your eqiupment. Am i correct?