gas string trimmer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cox1250, Apr 30, 2011.

1. cox1250

cox1250 LawnSite Member

I am looking for a gas trimmer that is easy to change the string. Everytime a buy a trimmer and replace the string it never works right.

Any suggestions, oh yeah, and I would like it to be an easy start too.

2. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo products are lighter and can be bought inexpensively or on a credit card at HD

I find Stihl to be a bit heavier. The gas filters are harder to replace quickly.

You're going to get a hundred replies here, all telling you some-thing different.

Ultimately you will have to decide. How about renting different products to see how they handle for a day or a few hours and then basing your decision on that?

3. cox1250

cox1250 LawnSite Member

Is it easy to change the string? That is my biggest problem. I am a female and do all the yard work :)

4. Kreios

Kreios LawnSite Member

Get a speed n feed head for your trimmer. Most dealers carry them and if you buy a trimmer from them they will more than likely put it on for you. They take 5 seconds to rethread and they come with adapters to fit various trimmers. Redmax trimmers start easy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I like Echo's U-turn head. Just stick the free ends of an 18' ft length of line into the holes and twist the knob. No disassembly required.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl FS 55 that has the same thing for putting new sting in.