Lawn Care Forum banner

Gas Surcharge......

11K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  delphied 
#1 ·
I have decided to start charging my customers a gas surcharge on top of there normal bill. I have thought about charging a flat fee of $4 to 6 dollars a month or $1 to 2 dollars per visit. Any thoughts?????

#27 ·
As others did in 2005 when this thread started, I started charging a surcharge for fuel once it reached $ 2 a gal. I remember that increase went out to my customers in the June statement of that year. I simply wrote a note on their statement that due to the price of fuel, that a surcharge of $ 1 per cut would be charged. It has gone up and down along with the price of gas, I'm now at $ 2 a cut. I have never heard any backlash from my customers, and a few I did happen to speak about it face to face completely understood. Everyone has their way of running their business. The rising gas prices were and still are a cost of living increase for everyone of us. It costs more to eat, send or receive a package, and to heat your home in the winter, all due to higher fuel costs, so why should it not cost more to have your grass cut?
So, in the span of 8 years you only increased lawns $2 ???!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

#31 ·
So, in the span of 8 years you only increased lawns $2 ???!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
About 80% of my work is within 5 miles of my shop. You would be hard pressed to pay less annually for fuel than I do running a mowing business. So only having to ask my customers for $ 2-3 a cut ( in the span of 8 years) isn't much, and probably less than most. I've been doing this for 15 years, and have been consistent with my work and what I charge. I don't make it a habit to raise prices on my customers, but perhaps you do, to each his own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.