Gas Surcharges this year?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jpp, Feb 16, 2006.

1. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

My letters are going out at the end of the month to all customers. Gas prices are anywhere from 1.99 to 2.39 here in Columbus. Trying to set figures for the surcharges. Just curious if any of you are going to be doing any changes this year? Has anyone heard any numbers they are calling for this summer on gas prices?

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

we are paying $2.49. I wont have a surcharge this year. I had one last year when gas in my area was over 4 bucks.
  3. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Depending on what happens, the surcharge is a possibility, and everyone knows it
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

No surcharge last year and no plans to implement one this year.
  5. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

If gas reaches $2.99 or higher per gallon on day of their cut, I have a 10% surcharge, no one has complained much to my surprise. I budgeted up to $2.95 per gallon.
  6. jpp

What if gas goes over 4 this year? I am not going to raise their price of their lawn cuts this year. I did that last year and had the surcharge too. This year I am just going with the surcharge.

7. jpp

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

we used them last year...not one complaint:clapping:
  9. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

we applied sur-charges last season, and will do it again this year. percentages based on total monthly bill, charged after 2.50 a gallon.
  10. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

Prices are going up for most everybody as it is. But I am going to ask if it is all right to apply another surcharge just for fuel should it go up to $3.50. Certain clients might be against it, but I am getting my money as it is. But the more reasonable ones, about 90% will say yes, I'm sure. I hate forcing someone into a surcharge. I could risk losing them, and I can't afford that. I only have about 3 i'd like to get rid of, only because of bad locations. I am hoping they all say yes. Again, I don't have written contracts, the verbal ones leave the options for a little flexibility.