Gas surcharges

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by machsixer, Jul 26, 2006.

1. machsixer

machsixer LawnSite Member

I've just let my first customer this year know that I'm adding a fuel surcharge every time I mow and trim. He grumbled a bit and said the gas prices are not much higher. I reminded him that when I began mowing in April, the prices were 20-30 cents less. Has anyone else added a fuel surcharge this year? How do you delicately inform the customers their fees are going up without offending them? And yes, I did retain the customer.

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

My surcharge is:
    3.00-3.50 1.00
    3.51-4.00 2.00
    4.00+ 3.50
    per cut

3. machsixer

machsixer LawnSite Member

What do your numbers represent? Hours worked equals a certain surcharge?

4. grandview (2006)

Sorry, it's the price of gas.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Some customers have a BIG problem with a fuel charge unless it was included in the contract. TG used to have a clause addressing cost of labor and fuel..

6. grandview (2006)

I have it right in the contract also i actually started it last season.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Nowadays if I need to raise a price, the next invoice is a bit higher and that is the end of the story. Yup, just raise it.

You can use certain reasons to justify the increase, but I found that using the price of fuel as a reason later results in some of those same customers dropping you (and wouldn't you know it, they give you the price of fuel back as the reason). So I don't care to use the price of fuel during conversation anymore :laugh:

8. grandview (2006)

The only problem with that is they never know what you'll charge them the next month.
    With the surcharge they know what their base price is and if gas goes down (ya right) no extra charge.

9. grandview (2006)

I forgot at the end of June and through July no surcharge.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

True, but then I only raise my prices mid-season for customers / yards that I simply can no longer tolerate at the current rate. It is rare that I do it at all, like you said, I don't just go raising my prices every month, for one thing I don't penny-ante my customers, a raise is 5 bucks so one time and we're done for a while (usually at least a few years, if they don't drop me but then that's par for the course).