Gas Tank Discoloring?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, May 22, 2004.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

I have noticed on my lazer that the left gas tank has started to discolor (turn brown) around the filler neck, as if the gas has seeped out? The right tank is fine and shows no signs of it. I quess it is from filling it too high? Anyway is there any way to remove this staining, I can't seem to get it off.

Thanks for any help!

Ryan

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont run lazers but did notice the same thing on quite of few lazers in my area.It seemed to be a little worse then what you stated on the ones i have seen.I dont really know what it is if its just dirt stain from use or something else.Kinda strange but it is only a lawn mower its bound to get dirty.

3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Who cares? It is a freakin lawn mower! Worry about the important things. Like is your grass turning brown.

4. GreenMachine102

I know I'm being anal about it, but was just wondering if anyone knew how to get it off?

5. GreenMachine102

Speaking of brown, grass, has anybody in the northeast or mid-atlantic area noticed that the grass and ground is starting to dry out? We hav'nt had a good rain here in cambridge maryland for about a month.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Thats what i think. Its happening to mine, and i think, well overfilled it again, oh well.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I care about it................
    Use some stuff called greased lightning,it comes in a purple spray bottle. You can find it at your local auto parts store.
    It works well at getting the chlorophyl off of your nice white rims as well. (need to use a sponge with it)

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Brillo pads work well, too.

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

go to autozone or some car parts store and get a wheel well brush. mix some Tide or other laundry detergent up in some water and scrub the tanks with that brush. that should take care of it. the main reason they turn brown is dust in the pores, gas venting thru that little bitty vent hole on the top of the cap and spills during fueling. you might could get away with a deluted amount of clorox in water also, just don't use too much.

10. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Easy Off oven cleaner but be careful very toxic will burn lungs if inhaled , as well as skin. Wear glover alway be safe.