gas tank leak

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rb_in_va, May 4, 2006.

1. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

and the numbers that you need are either stamped into the blower housing above the spark plug, or on a heat shield piece above the muffler.

3. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

The tank part number isn't the one that is on the tank?

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Take this number and the code number right after this number and proof of purchase with the fuel tank to a Authorized Briggs warranty dealer and they should give you a new one.

5. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

I will see if I can find the receipt. Thanks, Roger.

6. newz7151

from Tejas

Receipt shouldn't really be necessary. If you cannot find it, they can submit their claim using the DOM. Please bear in mind that this applies in this situation only. Normal warranty period repairs still require a proof of purchase.

7. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

I went to a Briggs dealer at lunch time and they wouldn't give me a free one. I asked about the warranty on a new one (at $29) and they said it was good for 30 days. Seems like quite a sham if they won't guarantee their product for more than 30 days! I have had my mower for 3-4 years, but haven't used it more than 10 times. I moved to a condo and haven't needed to use it for quite awhile.

8. newz7151

from Tejas

Ok, well if they are gonna be dicks about it, call Briggs at 800-233-3723. You might get through faster (although not toll free) by calling the main Briggs number at (414) 259-5333. Tell them you have a Briggs engine that the gas tank is leaking fuel from somewhere and that you are afraid it is going to catch on fire. Somebody might give you more of an idea on where to go. I don't have a problem doing them down here..I guess things are just different where you are.

Also, I do not give out free ones either. If the customer wants it replaced, it needs to come in on the mower and be replaced at our shop.

9. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

Ok, so how much is the replacement fee at your shop?

10. newz7151

from Tejas

If it is a qualifying tank, the customer doesn't pay anything. B&S has been paying for the replacements. The tank 699374 retail MSRP price is $25.30 plus 30 minutes of install labor time.