gas tank leaking

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by lawnrangers, Oct 28, 2004.

1. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

sitting on the mower,the left tank always leaks for about an hour.. i have the new gas caps.. so i tried not filling it all the way up (about 3/4) filled the other tank up,went to do a mulch job,i look over and gas is running out of the left tank,looked at the right side about 1/4 empty.. why is it running from the right side to the left..now every day i cant fill the left side more than half way .... what is up with this???? :realmad:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Hustler Z and Super Z's until about a year ago had a T that connected both tanks so the fuel system would evenly draw fuel from both tanks.
    There is a valve kit your dealer can install on your mower that will allow you to switch between tanks, this will take care of your problem.
    I would also verify with your dealer that you have the latest gas caps, he can reference his service bulletin to verify this for you.
    Hope this helps
    Pj

3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Woud this be warranted as mine does the same with the new caps as well?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Have your dealer call the factory and let them know your experiencing this.

Pj

5. lawnrangers

lawnrangers LawnSite Member

i have let my rep know, says there is nothing can be done about it.. he tells me not fill it up all the way...what good is 10 gallons of gas.. by the way i have 2 more hustlers neither one them does anything remotely like this...i guess if it catches on fire it will just burn... :angry: :angry: i am not mad but its getting ridicoulous....nrrd some help here p.j.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

E-mail me your info, I will forward it to our CS department, I am sure they can get this taken care of for you.
    hustlerturfequipment@msn.com

Pj

7. Highpockets

Highpockets LawnSite Member

I purchased a FastTrack 20/52 this summer and havn't experienced the gas cap problems a lot of folks are but I have gave the problem some thought. Could it be that the tank not leaking is not venting but as the gasoline heats up and expands it forces gas from the nonleaking tank over to the leaking tank causing it to run out? An experiment - Slightly loosen the cap on the nonleaking side and see what happens. Just a thought.

8. wynn

wynn LawnSite Member

bought 2 super z's this year one in may and one in august both have new caps on them. both still leak. one that was bought in august, you can stand back & watch gas come out of vent on left tank. :help:

9. greasy_gun

greasy_gun LawnSite Senior Member

Same prob here on a mini_z,with the new style gas caps..
    Also have a hustler stripe kit that wont let the unit load on trailer.
    Also trying to find anti blowout baffles for a 52" deck,since hustler doesnt make it.

10. wynn

wynn LawnSite Member

well dealer put two new caps on and guess what gas still leaks out. did the wire change on the fan, guess what still back fires. will anybody ever fix this problem. :angry: :realmad: