1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

gas tanks empty or full for the winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Oct 23, 2004.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

whats the best way to store a ztr for the winter season as far as the gas level in the tanks? Full or empty?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use my Z all winter, so storing it doesn't happen. But...based on experiences with cars, you always kept the tank full during the winter so that you didn't have room for condensation to build up. I would probably do the same with my mower but add a fuel stabilizer to it.

With that being said, you guys have a much harder winter than me. So others from your area can probably give much better opinions.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If its gonna freeze out I fill them add stabalizer and run them some more to get it down in the carb. Or completly drain them including the carb and bowl and let them dry.

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I keep gas in mine through the winter and fire them up every 2 -3 weeks. Never had a problem doing it this way.
    Liberty Lawncare likes this.
  5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

keep the tanks full with fuel sabilizer in them, it also does not hurt to run them every once in a while.
    Liberty Lawncare likes this.
  6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I have done both with success. I used to fill the tanks and then add Stabil with no problems in the spring. Last year I ran them all dry and that way I can add fresh fuel in the spring. I don't think it matters either way.
  7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

My understanding is that if a carburator has any rubber parts (or any parts that might be affected by gasoline), you should remove the gas and run the tank dry. However, if the set-up allows fuel to drain back into the tank, this would not matter.

I hadn't thought about the condensation thing. I guess I'll find out what the engine manufacturer recommends. Push come to shove, I'll start things up every two weeks, as someone suggested.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I've alwsy done it that way to, just keep the tank full and run them for a few minutes every couple of weeks. Also, I've never used any stabile and haven't had any problems yet.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I know I'm going to catch grief for this..... but......

There's been years when I've done clean-ups until I have to run home to put the plow on the truck and turn around and start plowing.

I've had times where the mower has sat all winter, not drained, no sta-bil, nothing done to it, and it fired up in the spring, I went back to work, and burned up the gas in the tank.

My PERSONAL opinion, is gas itself is much better than it used to be, not nearly as much water in it, with the ethanol and such. The alcohol itself will keep the water from building up in the tank.

As far as the carburator gumming up, I believe that too will happen, but it's not a definate.

Don't get me wrong, I try to be done and have everything drained before I park them for the winter, but it's hard, especially if you're sitting around after you have everything done for the year and you're just waiting for the snow to fly. I have a tendency to keep cleaning leaves until there's too much snow to do it anymore.
  10. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

If there is a problem with condensation when empty just leave the tank caps off.