Gas thieves 3 nights in a row

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by derbydon, Mar 18, 2010.

1. derbydon

derbydon LawnSite Member

So last Thursday I have my sprayer pump mechanic come out to replace diaphragms and O-rings on my Spacesaver rig. When he was done we flushed the old fuel out (stabilized- but I flush anyway), filled it up and calibrated flow. Ran 15 minutes tops.

Monday morning on first stop the engine starts to stall and sounds like it starved for fuel so I pull off and go to a dealer close by and after checking the carb bowl it still won't run. Lo and behold the damned thing is empty!

Yesterday morning (Wednesday) I'm mixing a new tank and notice the gas cap is laying in the truck bed and tank is almost empty. Sprayed 160 gallons on Monday and Tuesday after the first SNAFU. Did I not seat the cap all the way and it came off and lost fuel while driving? Suspect a thief at this point. Dog barked last night but he barks at cats, squirrels and poltergeists in the middle of the night too.

Tonight at about 1 AM while doing some quotes the dog goes nuts again. Truck is parked in rear of house under some pretty decent lights. I ran out the front and miss the thieves but the cap is gone and I've got less than 1/2 tank of fuel and the outside of the tank is wet. It was 3/4 full before dark and the cap was secure...I double checked last evening.

I had a few instances last year where it seemed I was running low on gas in the mowers too soon. The thing is I was never empty in the morning and only seemed to be off by a gallon or two at the most. Never enough to really be sure.

So do I -

A. By a bigass Doberman and tie him to the bumper every night.

B. Locking gas caps.

C. Cameras.

I thought about putting a bait can out but ther was an old gas can I had on the truck tonight with maybe a gallon in it and it wasn't touched. Right by the corner of the sprayer where the fuel tank sits.

And what's more annoying is I'll have to borrow a gas cap from another piece of equipment to spray tomorrow or make a trip 20 minutes the opposite direction to buy one from a dealer.:gunsfirin

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i had someone stealing gas from out at my shop, right out of the trucks. i took an old gas can and put about a gallon of gasand 3 gallons of water in it and left it sit in the bed of a truck over the weekend come monday it was gone and i see the neighbor about 3 houses up getting his car towed away. dont know if it was him or not for sure but it stopped after that

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I'd just get out my sleeping bag and pad and sleep in the truck bed for the nite ;)

4. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

Around here the gas thieves poke a hole in the gas tank and drain it. You end up with a damaged tank and no fuel. I fixed that problem with a 15KV transformer and a ground rod. The culprit turned out to be a kid The stupid kid complained to his parents who had the nerve to ask if I shocked him. Of course I disconnected the transformer during the day.

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I like this... I like it a lot. Wish there was a way to do that with my kids, so some pedophile, or bully tries to grab them and gets zapped.

6. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

bass pro and such sell those motion activated digital hunting cameras you tie to a tree...you can set them to take multiple frames or such per minute. just put it high enough the cant get to it.

7. 24v6spd

24v6spd LawnSite Senior Member

Great minds think alike. I was living in an apartment complex and used to keep gas cans in the back of my pickup. I noticed someone was stealing gas from them. I took the rest out and filled one with 5 gallons of water with a little gas on top. Next morning the can was empty. On the road leading out of the complex one of the neighbors cars was broken down. I stopped and asked what the problem was, he said it had just died. I said I bet you have water in the gas and just laughed.

8. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

Set out old gas mixed with sugar (that can cause damage) as well as a few other things you want to add to the mix. Or hide out outside and when you hear them have a big light and camera on you and point them at the thief and show the footage to your police department

9. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

I would bait them with bad fuel. Chances are the cops won't do anything for taking a few gallons of gas anyway

10. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I'd do all three options PLUS lie in wait with a paintball gun. Ha!