Gas thieves 3 nights in a row

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by derbydon, Mar 18, 2010.

1. albhb3

albhb3 LawnSite Senior Member

shoot em in the leg or see if you can get a taser or a zapper for cattle they have a handle and 36in extension watchem dance and I want pics of it :laugh:

2. derbydon

derbydon LawnSite Member

I put out a bait can that night but they left it alone. And last night they tried again, but I was sleeping in the den, right by the back door, with the dog next to me. All they got was the cap off. They carried it two yards down the ditch between houses (I found it the next morning). It's NCAA tournament weekend so I put the truck in the shop and brought the other truck home since it doesn't have a sprayer on it. I need the rest! I'm going to try a motion detector system with the monitor next to my bed. I have a back door to the deck right off my bedroom and I can go straight down the fence line and cut them off now that I know which way they're coming in and out.

3. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i had someone comming in the middle of the night to but i tarp my trailer. so they got me twice, but not the next time i took straight edge razor blades and taped them to the gas lids. when they put their hand on top ouch theres a gash. gottcha ******* never came back again. i was going to get a couple of buddies and a case of beer and wait for them with baseball bats but i decided to try this first. the trail cams work great to i use them for hunting. good luck. i like the shock thing, make their hair stand up!!!

4. bigmower5560

bigmower5560 LawnSite Member

subscribing to the thread... i want to see how this one turns out!

5. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Same here...... I'd be waiting in the truck, armed....

6. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Great ideas everyone! keep it up.

7. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

I double posted. Arg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  8. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

Small theft is at a loss really. I'd still phone the cops to let them know of the problem. This way it's on record should you phone in at 2am as you see a guy drive off with your fuel.

I went to visit a friend of mine for lunch the other day, he owns a medium sized trucking firm. Last month he put locks over top of the fuel caps on the truck tanks because people were stealing diesel at the rate of over $1000 a month for the last couple months, mostly in the mid-western US states where 80% of his business is. Drivers would get up, and start the truck only to realize that they have next to no fuel. One driver had to siphon the dyed diesel out of the reefer to use that to get to a fuel station a couple hundred miles up the road.

I'd find a way to lock it up, or even get more lights and some fake cameras (dime a dozen) just to at least deter thieves. If it was me, I'd get a good 10-12 camera system with infared built in set up around my property. You can't beat video evidence.

9. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

10. IndianSprings

IndianSprings LawnSite Member

Growing up in a small farming community, I remember my Granddad getting gas stolen out of a couple of farm trucks, happen every few nights, he did what was mentioned earlier, he took duct tape and taped single edge razor blades where they would hang out pass the edge of the gas cap about a 1/16 to 1/8". A couple of nights later he hit pay dirt, heard the yelling, didn't find anybody by the time he got his clothes on, but found fresh blood all over the cap and drops on the ground. He seen a young man working at the Co-Op three or four days later with three of his fingers on his right hand heavily bandaged, he told him pretty not try it again, he'd be waiting with the old 12 gauge, never had anymore problems. Harsh but effective.