Gas thieves 3 nights in a row

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by derbydon, Mar 18, 2010.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just get a locking gas cap for the truck.

I hate to say it but I so totally agree with this, sugar won't do a thing,
    not sure what to put in there but around my necks we have leaded fuel which
    of course you can't run in your vehicles (but the mowers sure can).

2. alf500series

alf500series LawnSite Senior Member

3. Fireguy97

Fireguy97 LawnSite Senior Member

I should have been comming to this forum a LOT more. I love all of these ideas! Water in fuel and razor blades should work. Cameras won't help if the cops aren't going to do anything.

Thanks guys!

4. esparzalandscaping

esparzalandscaping LawnSite Member

An AR-15 would work just fine too.... don't be afraid to put one in the head and two in the chest! Assume if they're coming onto your property, it isn't friendly... what makes you so sure they aren't armed or won't hurt you or your family. Shoot first, ask questions later.
    That's if you can catch em, of course.

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

With gas prices going over $3 a gallon the stealing is going to be more common. Last year we probably had 100 gallons stolen out of our trucks, 1 trailer stolen and 2 catalytic converters cut off :hammerhead::hammerhead:

6. Lightningllc

Lightningllc LawnSite Senior Member

1 28 foot trailer stolen with 15 snowblowers and shovels and 12 spreaders. 3 catalitic converters last year. and lots of gas.

I sat at the shop for 3 weeks with a 7 mag rifle and cought 4 seperate people trying things last spring.

I moved to a new shop and fenced it off, Knocking on wood right now so far so good.

I tried the needle trick, got old needle and stuck them in the gas caps with a note that said infected by a person with aids my employees still are scared to open the gas doors til today.:clapping::clapping:

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Was your trailer located at a self-storage place? There have been many local self-storage lockers completely cleaned out around here lately. The crooks will sit at a distance with high-powered binoculars and watch people enter their codes at the security gate. Later on, they will enter the stolen codes and do their worst. Most of the locations getting hit are those without a person on site for 24 hours.

8. Lightningllc

Lightningllc LawnSite Senior Member

Nope my shop, Cut locks, chains, fence.

9. laxman3221

laxman3221 LawnSite Member
    from MD

FYI, setting booby traps for people can get you in deep trouble.

10. GrassIsGreenerLawnCare

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

what? Shut the F UP. did u seriously just say that? what is the injured theif gonna say? ohh i was breaking into his truck and stealing his gas and i got hurt? wow. thats gotta be the dumbest thing ive ever heard right there. anyone comin on my property unwanted is gonna get hurt REAL bad by my pitbull. u can bet that.

pretty sad if cops wont do anything to the people stealin but will harrass u about setting traps!