Gas through exhaust

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bakerm69, Feb 23, 2008.

1. bakerm69

bakerm69 LawnSite Member

My Kohler 16 recently started spitting gas out the exhaust pipe. I'm afraid to try and start it with this continually happening. I've replaced all normal replaceable parts for a tuneup, but still the problem continues. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

Sounds like no spark, or possibly a bad exhaust valve. What is the compression like?
  3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like your carbs needle and seat are not closing and it is flooding and filling your muffler and possibly your oil sump.
  4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

mower medic is right - needle and seat or float issue.
  5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I am not a mechanic, and just asking: If the needle and seat are failing, would not a lot of gas also be found in the intake pipe and maybe in the air cleaner?

If the engine stops with the intake valve open/exhaust closed, would he get liquid lock? Is it unusual for an engine to stop at that valve position?

I guess it is a vertical engine, not a horizontal.
  6. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Most often flooded units are gravity feed carbs were the gas tank sits higher then the carb. Gas being a liquid it will tend to travel the area of least resistance and the nature of gravity is to pull things to there lowest point of travel. So with this in mind I have seen units flood to the point of everything being full sump,cylinder,a/f horn,muffler and then onto the floor. And others that only filled the muffler(most likely cause the engine stopped with the exhaust valve open) Every flooded unit I come across is not the same because of lots of different factors. The engine manufacture/design/crank position, or the position of the valves when the engine stops, the amount of gas in the tank and most times it all depends on when the owner of the unit noticed it was flooding then shut off the fuel valve:laugh:.
  7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, use the shut off valve for the kill wire and problem solved:laugh: Thanks for the reply.