Gas tips -- Have any?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by kenel, Jul 11, 2006.

1. kenel

kenel LawnSite Member
    Male, from Chicago, il

We run F-350's with full trailers, and a ****load of equipment per crew. 3.25$/gallon is killing us, and diesel is just as bad. I guess what I'm asking is...what are your "oustide the box" ideas on saving on gas -- please spare the "usual answers" I'm almost guaranteeing that we already do it.

Thanks!

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

besides changing routines all you can do is get yourself a custom tune............better mpg and a little more hp/tq

3. Ground Scapes

Ground Scapes LawnSite Member

for your mowers you could buy gas without road tax it nocks of five cents or more

4. kenel

kenel LawnSite Member
    Male, from Chicago, il

Gas without road tax -- how do I inquire, or go about, getting such a deal?

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You deduct it on your taxes. In PA its a special form (credit for tax on fuels).

6. kenel

kenel LawnSite Member
    Male, from Chicago, il

Doh! I should've figured as much. I was thinking a little more immediate, but, that will help as well. Thanks!

7. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Well I for one have been all over the board when it comes to equipment, and trailers. I had a caged trailer last year it did not take me no time to realize that what looked nice going down the road full to the max with equipment was killing my bottom line. The bottom is what I'm in the biz for. That being said this is what I have done.
    1) take nothing outside of the route, and drop what is not in the route such as customers I've had for a few years.
    2)everything is done by route not by the day you want.
    3)I carry only the equipment that is needed for the day. If I'm doing small lawns why carry a z rider around to show everyone I have one.
    4) I sold all equipment that wasn't needed, and being used
    enough to keep it around. We put 90 hours on one mower, and 300 on another last year. The one with 90 hours is now gone.
    5) I schedule all of the same type of work such as hedge work to be all done at the same time not a little bit of this and a little bit that all in one day.
    6) run the blowers on half throttle for grass on drive ways run mowers idled down when we can. Don't blow clippings all over the drives to start with. Don't leave equipment running when not in use. Maintain everything, air filters, etc. etc.
    Hope this helps some I'm interested in more ideas. I have implemented all that I listed here. Later, Tony

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I believe its around $.26/gal in CT.

You typically need a permanent site to store a tank and have a fuel company deliver it. We had a 350gal unit at the golfcourse I use to work at.

9. VineYard Landscaping

VineYard Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'm not sure of what to do about getting better milage but I saw today what not to do. I saw a guy today pull up with a F250 hauling 2 ZTR's, 1 WB, 8 edgers/wackers and 4-5 large gas cans. He then had to back both the riders off to get to the WB that he was going to be using. He was alone and did not have crew.:hammerhead:

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

He needs a side gate!