Gas to cost less this year, get ready for lowballing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncuttinfoo, Feb 1, 2013.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Every year, about this this time of year, someone takes it upon themselves to warn others that "lowballers are coming". I believe two years ago, a member on here dubbed that particular year as "the year of the lowballer". But nevertheless, people are always worried about lowballers...unemployment rises, lowballers will be coming...gas prices go down, lowballers will be coming...Jim has his 7th kid, lowballers will be coming.

No matter what, this industry will always have to deal with lowballers. Let's face facts here, we work in an industry that doesn't really require much skill or investment to be able to start up. If you have a lawn mower, trimmer and a rake, you can start a lawn mowing business...grab yourself a shovel and a wheelbarrow and you are now a "landscape contractor". Realistically, you could train a monkey to mow a lawn...so why shouldn't "Joe Blow" take his lawn mower and Jeep and make a few bucks mowing lawns around town?

We are always going to have to deal with lowballers, its just the way this industry is.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Fillers actually cost more unfortunately.

3. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, for that reason I planned on pricing straight low as dang near balls I can handle the year throughout, thanks for the heads up.

4. GaryBK

GaryBK LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Lowballers always come...and I notice they always go.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

If I had that attitude, I would lose customers very quickly. I keep customers because of the work, other than the grass cutting. Weeding, pruning, edging, lawn care, cleanups, tree pruning, and the ability to do just about any landscape prokect they need done.

This is what separates the grass cutters from the landscapers. If all you are is a grass cutter, then the competition is fierce.

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I have a feeling that article is false. It predicts 3.43 a gallon, we're already at 3.33 here. I am betting we see $4.00 this summer.

7. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

I have no idea where this comes from. Why would lower gas prices bring out low ballers? If anything the oppisite would be closer to the reality'

A good business man will know his expenses and when the price of fuel goes up, his prices would have to go up to stay profitable. The low ballers don't know thier expenses. They price to just get the job, no matter what.

So, if the price of fuel goes up, the low ballers have a better chance to get the job. Sure they might be out of business in a few years or be content with just having enough to get by. Either way, all of our prices get affected by what they do.

8. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Take a look at my website and see for yourself if I care about quality or not.

www.creativelawncaresolutions.com

It's not an "attitude." The people that just want their lawn mowed once a week are so much easier to deal with then the people looking over your work with a fine tooth comb.

Also, edging and pruning isn't rocket science. We all do all of those things. The machines do all the work. We just point them in the right direction.

9. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

10. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Gas prices are not something I can change or control. This passage comes to mind....
    God, give me grace to accept with serenity
    the things that cannot be changed,
    Courage to change the things
    which should be changed,
    and the Wisdom to distinguish
    the one from the other.