1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gas to cost less this year, get ready for lowballing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncuttinfoo, Feb 1, 2013.

1. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Lowballing is very easy if you keep your overhead down.
    Hint, these are not the air conditioning's temperature settings.

DCFC0035.JPG

2. H & M Yard Improvements

H & M Yard Improvements LawnSite Member

No I didn't see it! Got a link for it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

The low ballers don't usually know thier overhead, that's the problem. We have a LC in our area that has been low balling for the past 3 years. I have heard from suppliers that he has been cut off, from non payment. It is soon to catch up with him. I know of one supply yard that he owes thousands.:nono:

Sure he might go under but, thier will be another to take his place.

4. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

WOW. I pay as I go with the local place. I do have a account I can run a tab on but I never let it get past one job. Right now I owe him just over $150 and I can't wait to pay him this week.

5. SECTLANDSCAPING

SECTLANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

I see more coming from foreclosure cuttings then anything. I even had a few apply.

The companies are cutting there pay as they find more people willing to do it. The guy told me he was getting $23 up to a acre, down from $28 last year. These arent manicured yards either.

You get a guy like this that figures they can add $10 to that price and be good.

6. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I love hearing "Well they just stopped showing up."

7. SECTLANDSCAPING

SECTLANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

Yup, or you get the cheapskate after giving them a price say I'm not paying more then this. Thats what the last guy charged. Well see you later then.

I had a Inn call me 3xs last year. 2 guys stopped showing and the 3rd was arrested. I told the lady people dont show because there not getting paid or they werent charging enough. After giving her the price she said what I wrote above. When she called me the 3rd time I just laughed.

8. XYZLawnPros

XYZLawnPros LawnSite Senior Member

Gas prices two and a half weeks ago:

89 octane 10% ethanol = 3.01

91 octane NO ETHANOL = 3.29

As of today February 6th gas prices:

89 octane 10% ethanol = 3.49

91 octane NO ETHANOL = 3.90