Gas To Diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mjf4UGA, Jun 17, 2008.

1. mjf4UGA

mjf4UGA LawnSite Member

Will someone please help me out. I have a 03 Ram 1500 pulling a 16 foot trailer with a zero turn a walk behind and other equiment. I get between 8-9 miles per gallon. I really want to get a used diesel, but I am stuck not knowing what to get. If I can I would like to stay dodge. My buddy told me not to get ford 04 or newer. What is getting the best fuel mileage.

Thanks for all your help
  2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Buddy was rite on the 04 or newer ford. Im getting 15-16 mpg towing a 16' with 2 60" ztr's. A early 04 or older ford with the 7.3 are great trucks. My 01 f250 7.3 only got 12-13 empty. Never owned a dodge diesel, so cant comment on there mpg's. But did own a dodge gaser, and didnt like it much.:usflag:
  3. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Cummins are bulletproof engines, just find one in a solid truck preferably stick if you need dodge. The 6.5 chevys are a bad design but I think were supposed to be better after 1998. The ford 7.3 is a workhorse, something like 215hp/475trq, getting harder to find with under 130k miles.
  4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

its 03 1/2 and later. early 03's get better fuel mileage bcause of them being 7.3's. altho my 04 6.0 got 20 mpg highway. 14 towin. mine seems to be the only one tho...
  5. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

99+ powerstrokes had 250 hp, and 500+ lb ft torque depending on year. 03's ran fantastic! 525 lb ft tq!
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have an 06 F250 diesel. Its been a great truck so far. 65k on here and climbing... Pulling my 16' trailer loaded, I normally see 12mpg. Empty city 15, highway 17 or so.
  7. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Unless you have a good source for Biodiesel, diesels just aren't worth it anymore. They cost A LOT to buy up front, A LOT to own, and A LOT to fuel. With diesel the same price as gas I'm sure it pencils out, but with diesel almost $1 more per gallon, I'm thinking NO.
  8. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

not quite bud, diesels are still very worth it. they DONT cost alot to buy, they DONT cost alot to own, and no they DONT use a lot of fuel. you can get a diesel right now for very close to the price of a gas engine. get better fuel mileage, and tow alot easier. and diesels now adays, dont cost as much to maintain.
  9. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have been looking for a Diesel to replace my old gas Dodge truck. Hopefully the rising price of oil will allow me to get a great deal on a used truck. Otherwise I am going to convert my truck to run on wood gas. I have been doing a lot of experimenting and have even been able to make "Diesel" from algae, waste oil, or old tires. As for trucks I will go for either a 6 cylinder Cummins turbo Diesel or Ford international 7.3 engine. Have not seen any good deals lately, but I expect some soon.
  10. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

TLL350, you're absolutely right. Now, who wants to buy my 2002 GMC Duramax 4x4! Because I replaced it with a Ford F150 4.6 V8 that cost me $3k. It gets better mileage on the highway 20 vs 17mpg and better pulling a small trailer 15 vs 13mpg. The fuel that it uses less of costs $4 per gallon vs $4.80 per gallon. The 4.6 doesn't need a $30 fuel filter, $20 oil filter or 10 quarts of oil per change (just a few examples). So who wants my Dmax?