Gas trimmers

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by newscaper, Jun 4, 2003.

1. newscaper

newscaper LawnSite Member

Good morning. I am a newbie to the forum and need some advice. There are an overwhelming number of gas powered string trimmers available and I am looking to purchase a new one that will last for years. I ahev over 1 1/2 acres and lost of flower beds and some brush that will need to be cut about once a summer. Since I will be brush cutting, I assume a straight shaft is the way to go.

Questions -

Two or four cycle?
    Stihl, Honda, Echo, Sindaiwa, etc.

I would love to hear fro those of you who have had positive or negative experiences with theses and other brands. I had planned to spend up to $375.00. That is the price of the new 4 cycle Honda.

Tim G.
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

you answered your own question.

3. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

If you spend that much on any of those companies products, you will get what you want. Some people have preferences, but they are all good.

4. BladeRunner Rep

BladeRunner Rep Banned

If you want a 4stroke get a robin bh2500 I have used one for awhile and just love it! The unit is also available in the dolmar name and the makita brand, but I think the robin is the best priced label.
  5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record....Shindaiwa has a track record like no other. Mine is 4 years old, never been in the shop. I've worked with T-270's ( Or T-27) that were over 10 years old, ran like new. It will cut a beer bottle in half with no sweat, so weeds are nothing to it.
  6. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

Around here shindaiwa is nowhere to be found. It is all redmax and robin, a few tanaka trimmers and some kawasaki.
  7. che

che LawnSite Member