Gas vs diesel ... Diesel worth it?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grassmasterswilson, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Green-Man

Green-Man LawnSite Bronze Member

I would want a manual due to durability but I just wouldn't want to deal with pushing that clutch all the time haha so I agree with Mr.Lavere
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

I used to drive stick. Wasn't bad. Don't even think about it when driving it
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. mowcrazy

mowcrazy LawnSite Senior Member

See now thats awesome!!! sounds like in your situation diesel is a no brainer for you. your having good luck with your truck being dependable and not to bad of a maint hog. mine is having issues out the wazzu, but Ive never had issues at all as bad with the gassers. Thats why i keep saying Id go back with gas because im sick and tired of the diesel truck needing something every time i turn around!!!

As for the manual trannys, couldnt agree more. I push snow and sometimes can be out for over 24 hours per storm and i can tell you that plowing lots for that long with a standard shift, your leg will get tired!!! If I ever do go diesel route again it will be a 12v or 24v older truck....

4. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes diesel is worth it. Buy a real nice one!

5. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

i love my cummins/6spd manual, #1 reason i got rid of my 1/2 ton silverado and went diesel, just to get a manual

6. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Hard to talk on the phone, text, and eat with manual trans. So auto for me! JK

7. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

The backup truck at my buddies company is a manual cummins 3500. The thing has 245k on it and hasnt had many problems, even with the tranny. May just be good luck I guess. I had to plow with it one storm and its not a very fun night. After the first 2-3 hours I was fine, but I sat in the truck for 14 hours and my leg was shot. Manuals are alot more fun in all other situations it seems though!

8. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I agree! My daily driver is a 6 speed manual jeep wrangler. I love manuals for everything except work. My first work truck was a 99 F350 6 speed manual and I definitely prefer the auto for working, manual for pleasure

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

All my main working trucks has been manual. Only thing to have, even my daily driver is a manual. My wife's truck is a manual. I always had back luck with autos.

10. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

Autos definitely require less thought, but the manual trans are much more reliable and cheaper to fix. They are also helpful when slowing down with heavy loads etc. Cant win, but I am hearing that the newer autos in diesels are better. My cummins is a 5 speed and my powerstroke is a 6 speed.