1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gas vs. Diesel

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by turfmgr, Jun 24, 2005.

1. turfmgr

turfmgr LawnSite Member

remember the good ol' days when diesel was at least 10 cents less than reg. unleaded... i do! thats why i bought a diesel truck. anyone switching back to gas because of the 20 cent more cost of diesel? just wondering cause i am getting sick of $65-70 fill-ups!

2. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

Not me, I love my Cummins, a gasser can't even come close to my mileage pulling a trailer. Diesel has to come back down. :dizzy:

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know of any gas engine that will power a 3/4 ton 4x4, pull a trailer full of equipment, and still get 13-14 MPG. Yeah, you might save $0.10 per gallon, but that doesn't out weigh 6 MPG or whatever ever you'd get with a large gas engine. If you want fuel economy, you look to diesel. Over in Europe most cars are diesel, and get like 50 MPG. Here in America, we've missed it, man. We think 35 MPG is great.

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

When the ole' 6.2 was new, It'd get @ 25-27 mpg highway, and 15-18 round' town... Now that it's a tired old buzzard, I'm doing good to get 18 highway :( But to fill both tanks costs @ $90!!!! :angry: :gunsfirin :gunsfirin :blob2: My Dad's 04 GMC with the 4.8 V8 gets almost as good mileage as my diesel did new.. And it'll out run it by a mile.. :help: A new truck would be nice!