Gas Write Off

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Alps Lawn, May 27, 2007.

1. Alps Lawn

Alps Lawn LawnSite Member

Do you write off gas expenses? Just curious
  2. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

my tax lady said I can write-off gas in equip but not gas in truck? :hammerhead:

I fill up once a week and pull in between 2 pumps; fill truck with 1st and all equipment and cans with 2nd pump. I get 2 receipts and keep them just in case; but the lesser receipt is my trailer stuff....

I'm interested also in what others do.
  3. Alps Lawn

im personally really interested in truck gas write off
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

You write off fuel if you write off the truck and it's expenses. You don't write it off if you use a mileage deduction.

Keep your equipment fuel seperate no matter what. You write off equipment fuel. Also, keep up with your gallons for your equipment and you can get a credit for the highway use tax added to that fuel you use.:)
  5. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Why not on the truck? Your using it as a part of the business! someone please explain...:confused:
  6. Alps Lawn

is there a book that explains everything about owning a small business.. i need a reference tool lol
  7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

so you are looking for "running a business for dummies"? I think there are plenty of resources available to you with regards to running a business. Call a CPA and meet with him. He will be able to give you a lot of useful information regarding the finaincial aspects of it... including what you can and cannot deduct and what you can and cant do finincially. You can either use the mileage deduction, which I do, or you can itemize and deduct things separately.
  8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Is the truck a personal vehicle or is it a commercial vehicle? There may reside the answer. We write off all fuel. However, our trucks belong to the company, so therefore the fuel in those vehicles are used for commercial purposes. Now if it is your personal truck and you are using it to cut a couple days a week or part time etc. then you are also using that fuel for personal use. They will not allow you to write off personal use. You could see this with a lot of things not just fuel. Computer/Internet, cell phone, etc. How much is for business use and how much is for personal use.

To answer the write off question. Yes, you can and we do write off fuel for our trucks, as well as equipment. The best bet would be contact your tax consultant and ask about your specific situation.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That is correct, you can either take the standard 41 cents / mile deduction and be done with it, OR you can itemize all your truck's expenses, most folks go with the mileage deduction because it's easier for one, but itemizing is really only worth it if it means a sizeable difference in your favor.

But if you take the 41 cents / mile deduction then you are done, no further deductions on your vehicles are allowed.

However, equipment is separate and all equipment costs can be deducted.
    I'm on a fleet fuel account, this helps me track the equipment as it involves a separate account... I might suggest paying for equipment with a separate credit card or some other way to track it, perhaps keep a log.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We itemize everything including total cost of fuel, pretty simple IMO.