Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Allen's LS, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

I'm not sure where to put this thread, so I guess its gonna go here for now. My question to all you other LCO's. What grade of gas do you use in your equipment? I have been using Super. Does it really matter? Let me know your thoughts and experience. :help:
  2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Hell, I think if they sold 85 octane thats what I would use. You are wasting your money.
  3. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

In Turf Magazine's Fuels Bulliten article from Nov. 2003, they talked about the poor quality of today's fuels. Most OPE manufacturers recommend a shelf life of 30 days for gasoline and if stored above ground in high heat the shelf life can be as short as 7 day.

They recommend using a fuel stabilizer, not using methanol or ethanol, using fresh fuel with at least a 91 octane rating, using name-brand fuels that have given good performance in your area, and avoiding cut-rate economy brands.

I've been using 91 octane plus Stabil in my 2-stroke equipment for a number of years with no apparent problems.
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

5. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

i was talking with a scag dealer this spring about my new mower, and they told me to run 2cycle 50:1 in my mower every so often because with this new gas we have . they said that the gas is dry? and its not good for the engine valves, ive ran it with 2cycle a few times since ,but ive givin up on it. im not sure if it really helps the engine or not!!!
  6. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

On most air cooled engines, over 87 can make them run hotter and in the long run will be bad on them. I run 87 in my mowers and see no reason not to when, aside from being what is recommended for them, it is cheaper. You will not gain anything worth gaining by running higher octane.

I have never heard the 2stroke gas theory. But it makes sense. I have always took about a quarter cup of MysteryMarvelOil and run thru the carb when I change the oil in my tractors. It smokes, but does the valves some good. I also do this on my old carburated trucks as well.
  7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly, if you decide to shave your heads or run a thinner head gasket to increase power than you'll need higher octane, otherwise, your wasting your money and not doing the engine any good (probably not harming it either though)
  8. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

Cool, Thanks for the advice. The way gas prices are now, every penny counts. payup
  9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I run 87 octane because that's what the manufacturers recommend. Not sure whether higher octane is a problem, but if the manufacturer thought it would help, they would say so.

As a couple of others have already said, why pay for something you don't need?
  10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

With the way prices are today everything gets 87.. no problems whatsoever.My scag dealer did tell me it wouldnt hurt to run a higher octane once in a while.